Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Murdered Bog Men Found With Hair Gel, Manicured Nails

1. Mar 18, 2006 #1

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Murdered "Bog Men" Found With Hair Gel, Manicured Nails

The picture of the guy with the hair gel is really attractive. So poofy hair was "in" 2,000 years ago.

"Male grooming has an ancient history in Ireland, if the savagely murdered bodies of two ancient "bog men" are anything to go by.

One shows the first known example of Iron Age hair gel (see photo), experts say. The other wore manicured nails and stood 6 feet 6 inches (198 centimeters) tall."

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/01/0117_060117_irish_bogmen.html

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2006 #2
    Doesn't everybody preen themselves before a walk in the bog!?

On second thought, maybe that's why they were murdered:eek: In fact, they may have been thought of as ugly if not alien by the rest of the population.:yuck:

4. Mar 18, 2006 #3

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

5. Mar 18, 2006 #4

Evo

It's really quite fascinating, although gruesome. You can't help wonder about the circumstances.

6. Mar 18, 2006 #5

Astronuc

I'll say -

Such charming ancestors we had.

7. Mar 19, 2006 #6

Evo

Not nearly as bad as what they did to that other guy. I had no idea of the extreme torture that was used.

8. Mar 19, 2006 #7
    Yeah, look what they did to his fingernails!!!:surprised

9. Mar 19, 2006 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What are all of you deploring??
    From my extensive reading of fantasy literature, anyone in the habit of prowling about bogs (not to mention residing there), would generally be a very nasty person adept in the dark arts.

That he was evil incarnate can also be seen from the depicted face of one of the bog guys. Most probably, he was a lich before he un-undied.
    Good riddance to them both.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  10. Mar 19, 2006 #9

Astronuc

You mean -

Makes me think of drawing and quartering that was practiced in parts of Europe.

I had heard of the other bodies found in Netherlands and Germany -

Possibly execution for some transgression or some ritualistic sacrifice.

I think in the bogs of northern Europe, some bodies are of young folk possibly sacrificed, perhaps at winter solstice or maybe during the spring.

And to think, we are alive today only because all of our ancestors survived all of that through how many hundreds or thousands of years!

11. Mar 19, 2006 #10
    Not too long ago they found an ancient can of face cream in London? that was made of unknown substances. I don't see whats so amazing about that. I mean, people were building pyramids all the way back to 3000 b.c.. Do they think they were walking around on all fours during those times? :rofl:

12. Mar 19, 2006 #11
    Well, all fours eh? I do believe the Egytians are credited with inventing a form of a brewery in their day!

I think I've solved the problem of where these two bog interlopers have hailed from. They seem to have stumbled upon Scientific American's rendition of a "time machine" and ended up in Ireland some 2000 years before they test drove the machine.

Brief intro to the time machine at Sci American:

http://www.sciam.com/article.cfm?articleID=0004226A-F77D-1D4A-90FB809EC5880000

So, these were everyday North Americans, fresh out of the men's spa, a little excited about trying out the machine... then... wallah... they find themselves surrounded by St.Pattie's day revelers who subsequently are freaked to see them then tear them to shreds and stuff them in the bog, where all unexplained creatures, dead and alive, belong. Aye.

13. Mar 20, 2006 #12

jimmy p

Gold Member

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

So true! Though I would have said a necromancer, liches are dead necromancers so in the classic sense he would have been a skeleton.

14. Mar 24, 2006 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Correction:
    A lich is an UN-dead necromancer, and can only unundie (i.e, become a skeleton and pile of yellow dust beside).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?