Minimum amount of friction in a turn

In summary, the minimum coefficient of friction needed for a 3700 kg truck to navigate an unbanked curve of radius 25 m at a speed of 45 km/h is 7.62. This can be calculated using the formula k(min)=(V^2/(gr)), where V is the speed in m/s, g is the gravitational constant, and r is the radius of the curve. The speed should be converted to m/s before substitution into the formula.
TheronSimon

Homework Statement

What minimum coefficient of friction between the tires and the road will allow a 3700 kg truck to navigate an unbanked curve of radius 25 m at a speed of 45 km/h?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The minimum coefficient is 7.62. To arrive at this i used the formula k(min)=(V2/(gr)). This will be substituted to 252/(3700/45).

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula is correct, but your substitution is not. Hint: Convert the speed to standard units of m/s.

so instead put in 12.5, and then 625/296 = 2.11 ?

Last edited:
TheronSimon said:
so instead put in 12.5, and then 625/296 = 2.11 ?
No. Where do the numbers 625 and 296 come from?

well 25^2 is 625 and 3700/12.5 is 296

TheronSimon said:
well 25^2 is 625 and 3700/12.5 is 296
You need to evaluate: (V2)/(gr)

No need to square 25 or involve 3700.

you lost me now, why would i square V^2? :(

TheronSimon said:
you lost me now, why would i square V^2? :(
See your first post. (You need to evaluate V^2, which is V squared.)
TheronSimon said:
To arrive at this i used the formula k(min)=(V2/(gr)).

but i thought it would only SQRT if both sides have an exponent of 2 to get rid of the 2, because what i do to one side i have to do to the other do i not?

1. What is the minimum amount of friction needed for a successful turn?

The minimum amount of friction needed for a successful turn varies depending on the specific conditions of the turn, such as the speed, surface material, and angle of the turn. However, in general, the minimum amount of friction needed is enough to overcome the centrifugal force and maintain control of the turn.

2. How does the amount of friction affect a turn?

The amount of friction directly affects a turn by providing the necessary force to counteract the centrifugal force and maintain control of the turn. Too little friction can cause the object to slide or lose control, while too much friction can slow down the turn or cause the object to skid.

3. Can the minimum amount of friction be calculated?

Yes, the minimum amount of friction can be calculated using the coefficient of friction, the mass of the object, and the radius of the turn. By using these factors, the minimum amount of friction needed to successfully complete a turn can be determined.

4. How can the minimum amount of friction be reduced?

The minimum amount of friction can be reduced by decreasing the speed of the turn, increasing the radius of the turn, or using a surface material with a lower coefficient of friction. Additionally, proper lubrication or using specialized equipment, such as skis or wheels, can also reduce the amount of friction.

5. What factors can affect the minimum amount of friction in a turn?

The minimum amount of friction in a turn can be affected by various factors, including speed, surface material, angle of the turn, weight of the object, and the presence of external forces such as wind or gravity. Additionally, the condition of the surface, such as wet or icy, can also greatly impact the amount of friction needed for a successful turn.