1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Why static friction not kinetic in this problem?

1. May 31, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The sports car ) is rounding a flat, unbanked curve with radius R . If the coefficient of static friction between tires and road is Us, what is the maximum speedat which the driver can take the curve without sliding?

why in this problem i am given Static fiction coefficient instead of kinetic???

2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2015 #2

ehild

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Because we do not want the car sliding out of the curved track. The piece of tyres in contact with the asphalt should not move relative to it.

4. May 31, 2015 #3
    can you clear?? i didn't get it.

5. May 31, 2015 #4

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Ask yourself....

Which direction is the friction acting?
    Is the car moving in that direction?

6. May 31, 2015 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Friction relates to surfaces in contact. The choice of static or kinetic friction is determined by whether there is relative motion between the two surfaces. The motion of the car is not important; what matters is whether the part of the tyre in contact with the road is moving relative to the road - i.e. skidding.
    See section 3.2 of https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/
    That's not really the key. An accelerating car on the flat can experience static friction in the direction of motion without skidding.

Last edited: May 31, 2015
  7. Jun 1, 2015 #6

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Insert embarrassed face here :-)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted