1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Minimum numbers of balls to be drawn

1. Nov 24, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    suppose in a box there are 20 red, 30 black,40 blue,and 50 white balls.what is the minimum numbers of balls to be drawn, without replacement,so that you are certain about getting 4 red, 5 black, 6 blue and 7 white balls?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    so there are total 140 balls and i have to get 22 balls with the following configuration. i tried to use this formula..
    [(40C6)(20C4)(30C5)(50C7)]/(140C22)
    but i am not sure.... i think this gives the probability of getting this configuration.... but for minimum balls to be drawn... i dont know which formula can be used...

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 24, 2014 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Forget the formulas and use your understanding.
    The key is that you have to be certain of those numbers...

4. Nov 24, 2014 #3

RUber

Homework Helper

With 140 balls and 20 red balls, how many must you draw to be certain that you will have at least one red ball?
    It is probably more than 120, since there is at least one way to pull 120 non-red balls.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted