Minnesota?s Anti-Bullying Statute: Weakest in the Nation, Slated for Revision

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Revision
In summary, the U.S. Department of Education found that Minnesota's anti-bullying statute is the weakest of the forty-six states it analyzed. However, more emphasis should be put on engineering innovative incentives for good behavior, such as a Social Activity Points game.
I’ve been saying it for a while now, but a new report by the U.S. Department of Education confirms that Minnesota’s anti-bullying statute is the weakest of the forty-six states it analyzed (four states, however, lacked state-wide polices altogether). *At … Continue reading →http://stats.wordpress.com/b.gif?host=virtualnavigator.wordpress.com&blog=11498882&post=787&subd=virtualnavigator&ref=&feed=1

Read More...

Physics news on Phys.org
Can you really stop bulling though legislation or does this just make the school the bully instead of the kids?

The fact of the matter is, they’re children and adolescents, NOT ADULTS. They think and act like children and adolescents. Current research on brain development tells us that the frontal lobe of the brain (the part responsible for judgment and reasoning) surges in growth at about age 11 and isn’t done until about age 24. So, when we ask a youth why they ride a skate board down a railing without a helmet, no matter what they say, the answer is the same as to why someone would send their nude pictures through the phone or over the internet. They have not yet developed the judgment and reasoning to know and understand that it may be unsafe for them.

frank28 said:
The fact of the matter is, they’re children and adolescents, NOT ADULTS. They think and act like children and adolescents. Current research on brain development tells us that the frontal lobe of the brain (the part responsible for judgment and reasoning) surges in growth at about age 11 and isn’t done until about age 24. So, when we ask a youth why they ride a skate board down a railing without a helmet, no matter what they say, the answer is the same as to why someone would send their nude pictures through the phone or over the internet. They have not yet developed the judgment and reasoning to know and understand that it may be unsafe for them.
But then there are many adults that do questionable things. Just looking at the foreign policies of a few nations, it all seems more like schoolyard bully politics being played at the highest level. I don't think kids are as dumb as we make them out to be. They see the hypocrisy of adults and laugh at the whole "Do as I say, not as I do" attitude. Plus, we have a culture that celebrates aggressive winners, which is why people could loudly boo a presidential candidate that mentions the golden rule in a debate.

Personally, I'd like to see more emphasis put on engineering innovative incentives for good behavior. For example, create a Social Activity Points game where students race to collect points from teachers, staff and local groups by doing proactive tasks (community clean up, local marketing, class participation, reporting bullies, etc.). At the end of each quarter, they can trade in their points for gift certificates (funded by local businesses that benefit from the publicity and marketing). The goal should be to keep the students so busy with constructive activity (studying, sports, clubs or social points race) that they don't waste it by getting into trouble.

I have always believed in the importance of data and evidence-based policies. Therefore, I am concerned to hear that Minnesota's anti-bullying statute has been deemed the weakest in the nation by the U.S. Department of Education. Bullying is a serious issue that can have long-lasting negative effects on individuals and communities. It is crucial that our policies are strong and effective in addressing this problem.

I am glad to hear that efforts are being made to revise this statute. It is important for legislators to take into account the latest research and best practices in developing anti-bullying policies. I hope that the revision process will involve input from experts in the field, as well as input from those who have been personally affected by bullying.

It is also concerning to hear that four states lack state-wide policies altogether. Bullying is a widespread issue that requires a comprehensive and coordinated response. I urge all states to prioritize the development and implementation of effective anti-bullying policies to protect the well-being of our youth.

In addition to strong policies, it is also important to promote a culture of respect and inclusivity in our schools and communities. This can be achieved through education, awareness campaigns, and fostering a sense of empathy and understanding among individuals. Let us work together to create a safer and more supportive environment for all.

1. What is Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute?

Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute is a state law that aims to prevent and address bullying in schools. It defines bullying as any repeated or pervasive written, verbal, or physical act or gesture that is intended to cause fear, intimidation, humiliation, or physical harm to a student or their property.

2. How does Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute compare to other states?

According to experts, Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute is considered the weakest in the nation. It lacks specific guidelines and requirements for schools to address and prevent bullying, making it difficult for educators and administrators to effectively handle bullying incidents.

3. Why is Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute slated for revision?

Many advocates and lawmakers believe that the current statute is not doing enough to protect students from bullying. There have been several high-profile cases of bullying in Minnesota schools, and the current law's lack of clear guidelines and consequences has been criticized.

4. What changes are being proposed for Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute?

The proposed revisions to the statute include more specific guidelines for schools to follow when addressing bullying incidents, mandatory training for educators and administrators, and stricter consequences for those who engage in bullying behavior.

5. How will the proposed revisions to Minnesota's Anti-Bullying Statute impact students?

If the revisions are implemented, it is hoped that they will provide better protection for students who are being bullied and create a safer and more inclusive school environment. The revisions may also help educators and administrators more effectively address and prevent bullying incidents.