Bug Minor format changes that propagate to later paragraphs

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
In the standard editor (not the BB code editor), if I highlight text and apply a format change, such as Bold, Italics, Underline, Strike-through, or Text Color, it properly changes the highlighted text for that particular paragraph, but then it (inadvertently) applies the same format change for all subsequent paragraphs.

Here is an example. Suppose the following is in the window used to write the text, and the window is in normal mode (not in BB code mode).

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Test paragraph 1

Test paragraphghghg paragraph 2

Test paragraph 3

Test paragraph 4
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, highlight the "paragraphghghg" and click on the Strike-through button, S, or use the short-cut key (Ctrl-S).

The result is as follows:

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Test paragraph 1

Test paragraphghghg paragraph 2

Test paragraph 3

Test paragraph 4

----------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't think carrying over that format change (intended for a single word) over to subsequent paragraphs is the intended action. Every time I make a small format change, I have to toggle over to the BB code editor and change the formatting manually.

I'm using Firefox 69.0 (64 bit).

Ahh, JavaScript once again. I am reminded of the book:

JavaScript the Good Parts

It’s a good question for @Greg Bernhardt as perhaps there’s a more recent version of the editor part.

phinds

Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
trying it trying it trying it

Son of a gun. I get the same thing. You CAN use the "remove formatting" icon to get rid of it (as I did for this paragraph) but you shouldn't have to.

Calling @Greg Bernhardt

Or you could eschew using multiple paragraphs in favor of a wall of text.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
The first click on the S in the toolbar inserts the codes for 'Strike-thru'. the second click inserts 'Cancel Strike-thru'.

Here is an example with an extra space in the 'Strike-thru' code so it is not recognized.
[ S] <cursor is here>...
and you type stuff...
Now click S again, and code 'Cancel Strike-thru' ,[ /S] is inserted.

Just remember, when you are finished entering text that needs a 'Strike-thru', a second click on the toolbar S enters the 'Cancel Strike-thru'. (Same is true for 'Bold' [ B])

Para no. 1

[ S]Para no. 2a

para no. 3

Para no. 4

EDIT: after getting clothes out of dryer and re-reading this, maybe I addressed a different problem than you had. Oh well.

Last edited:

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
The first click on the S in the toolbar inserts the codes for 'Strike-thru'. the second click inserts 'Cancel Strike-thru'.

Here is an example with an extra space in the 'Strike-thru' code so it is not recognized.
[ S] <cursor is here>...
and you type stuff...
Now click S again, and code 'Cancel Strike-thru' ,[ /S] is inserted.

Just remember, when you are finished entering text that needs a 'Strike-thru', a second click on the toolbar S enters the 'Cancel Strike-thru'. (Same is true for 'Bold' [ B])

Para no. 1

[ S]Para no. 2a

para no. 3

Para no. 4
Well, sure, that works well if you know ahead of time the typos and errors that you're going to make when you write your post, before you actually post it.

But most of the time, one either (a) corrects the errors in the proof-reading process before posting, or (b) corrects them later by editing the post.

And in the case of (b), it's often courteous to use the strike-through on erroneous, existing text, optionally to be replaced by regular text, to show the reader what part of the original post was erroneous (and then make a note at the bottom of the post that edits were made). To do this, one highlights the erroneous text and hits the strike-through button. While this works if everything is in a single paragraph, it does not necessarily work as intended if there are multiple paragraphs, which is why I wanted to report this as a bug.

That is clearly not the expected behavior if users mark highlight text and then click on the strikethrough button. But for me it adds the tags properly.
New paragraph

Anyway, if in doubt use the bb code editor.

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Try that again with a blank line between "...properly." and "New Paragraph"

Is this your intended result?

---------------------------------------------------------
That is clearly not the expected behavior if users mark highlight text and then click on the strikethrough button. But for me it adds the tags properly.

New paragraph

Tom.G

Science Advisor
Para no. 1

Para no. 2 with 'this stuff to strike on edit.' 'this added to Para 2 on edit'

Para no. 3 with 'this added to Para 2 on edit.'

Para no 4 with the following phrase originally entered to test a potential string match bug: 'this added to Para 2 on edit.'

Yup, a buggy critter crawlin' around in there!

Whoa! A screen refresh while editing (triggered by @collinsmark post) and it shows differently now. And the S from the toolbar does not work; it worked during initial editing.

That's something to keep the webmaster awake for a while.

Last edited:

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
Para no. 1

Para no. 2 with 'this stuff to strike on edit.'

Para no. 3 with 'this added to Para 2 on edit.'

Para no 4 with the following phrase originally entered to test a potential string match bug: 'this added to Para 2 on edit.'
I think you might have neglected to strike any text on edit. I don't see any strike-through text.

Tom.G

Science Advisor
I think you might have neglected to strike any text on edit. I don't see any strike-through text.
You were quicker than I was. Editing was in process when you posted. Have a look now, results are even more confusing.

Try that again with a blank line between "...properly." and "New Paragraph"
Okay, with an additional line I can reproduce it. In fact: It doesn't matter if that line is blank or not. It will strike through what you highlight, and then everything starting two lines below that line. What a weird result.

OCR

What a weird result.
It's been that way for a long time. . .

None of this should have been struck out. . . except the very first line.

OCR

1568859685292.png

Tom.G

Science Advisor

If you put @OCR s post in Reply editor, and Toggle BB code to Off with the Gear icon, you will see that the 'Cancel Strike-Thru' is at the end of the post, not at the end of the first line as intended/expected.

OCR

Seems to be the case. . .

1568860487264.png

OCR

OCR

See what I did ?

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
I have seem the same effect on following paragraphs after making some text different, in my case either a few words bolded or made into a link to a reference.
Since I tend to type a lot and then go back and add links or formatting, it can get tedious to deal with.

OCR

OCR

It looks like this if you Toggle BB code off.

1568941617158.png

Interesting. . . 😉

BillTre

Science Advisor
Gold Member
2018 Award
It seems to be better for me now.
Maybe @Greg Bernhardt has already done something?

• Informative
Reactions: OCR

collinsmark

Homework Helper
Gold Member
It seems to be better for me now.
Maybe @Greg Bernhardt has already done something?
The bug still exists for me.

I can also confirm what @mfb discovered that a blank line isn't necessary -- the bug manifests itself two lines below the line with selected text.

Testing line 1
Testing "Stuff that will be underlined, crossed out, or whatever" line 2
Testing line 3, should not be modified.
Testing line 4, should not be modified.
Testing line 5, should not be modified.

OCR

I can also confirm what @mfb discovered that a blank line isn't necessary -- the bug manifests itself two lines below the line with selected text.

Testing line 1

Testing line 1
Looks like the only way to fix it, is Toggle BB code off and remove the tags. . . ?