Missed my class and don't know how to even begin.

In summary, a 100kg bicycle and rider travel uphill at 16 m/s, with the rider slamming on the brakes and skidding to a stop. The coefficient of friction is given as (0.8, 0.7). The problem involves finding the distance skidded and elapsed time before the bike stops. The equations for this problem are v2-u2 =2as and v=u+at. The forces acting on the bike are friction and gravity, with the acceleration found from the friction equation. The final solution for distance and time may be affected by other factors.
Dko

Homework Statement

a 100kg bicycle and rider initially move at 16 m/s up a 15 degree hill. The rider slams on the brakes and skids to rest. The coefficient of friction is (0.8, 0.7)

Homework Equations

I have a few but nothing to do with a coefficient of friction.
The last ones given to me where like
MVi + ƩF(Δt) = MVf

The Attempt at a Solution

I can' make any since I was sick for class. I'm sure the professor was supposed to give at least a hand out with some explanation. So could someone at least give me a idea what I have to look up online that will help me get started on this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you trying to solve for? I'm guessing time?

Gehh sorry. Why do I keep forgetting that?
a. How far does the bike skid?
b. What was the elapsed time before the bike stops skidding?

This is what I have to help so far.

(100kg)(16m/s) + ƩF(Δt) = 0

ƩF = (-mg sin(15) + uFn)
→ƩF = (-9.8 x 100kg x sin(15)) + u( 100 x 9.8 x cos 15)

→ƩF = -1232.877407

(100kg)(16m/s) + (-1232.877407)(Δt) = 0

1600 = (1232.877407)(Δt)

Δt = 2.59

I'm not sure if it is right, I might have forgotten a few things. Mainly...how to find ƩF

Please correct me! I'm only a freshman.

Last edited:
Hi,
The basics are, 2 forces act on the bike:-
Friction=Normal force * coefficient of KINETIC friction = (mg cosθ)*k
gravitational force=mg sinθ

From this info, find acceleration

use v2-u2 =2as to find distance
use v=u+at to find time.

I'm not sure there are no other factors. Pls check!

1. How can I catch up on the material I missed in class?

One way to catch up on missed material is to reach out to your classmates and ask for notes or recordings of the lecture. You can also email your professor to ask for any materials or resources that were covered in class. Additionally, you can schedule a meeting with your professor during office hours to go over the material you missed.

2. Will missing class affect my grade?

It depends on the policies of your specific class and professor. Some professors may have attendance policies that can impact your grade if you miss too many classes. It's best to check your syllabus or reach out to your professor to clarify any concerns.

3. How can I stay on track with assignments if I miss class?

Make sure to check the syllabus or ask your professor about any assignments or due dates that were discussed in class. You can also ask a classmate or your professor for clarification on any material that may be related to upcoming assignments.

4. Do I need to make up any missed exams or quizzes?

If you missed an exam or quiz, it's important to reach out to your professor as soon as possible to discuss any make-up options. Some professors may offer alternative dates or methods for making up missed assessments.

5. How can I avoid missing class in the future?

Life happens, and it's understandable to miss a class every now and then. However, to avoid missing class in the future, make sure to prioritize your schedule and try to attend all classes. If you know you will have to miss a class, try to communicate with your professor beforehand and make a plan to catch up on any missed material.