Missing factor of 2 in an equilibrium problem

In summary, a missing factor of 2 in an equilibrium problem can occur when the reaction equation is written in terms of moles instead of molecules. This can affect the equilibrium constant (K) if the units used for K differ between moles and molecules. It is important to account for the correct number of molecules or moles in the reaction to obtain accurate results. To correct a missing factor of 2, the reaction equation can be rewritten in terms of molecules. Other factors that can cause a missing factor of 2 include errors in stoichiometric coefficients, incorrect units for K, and mistakes in calculating the number of moles or molecules involved in the reaction.
Eggue
Homework Statement
A heavy horizontal girder of length L has several objects suspended from it. It is supported by a frictionless pivot at its left end and a cable of negligible weight that is attached to an I-beam at a point a distance h directly above the girder’s center. Where should the other end of the cable be attached to the girder so that the cable’s tension is a minimum?
Relevant Equations
Conditions for equilibrium
I honestly have no idea where I'm going wrong
i've checked my differentiation using a derivative calculator but the answer is the same.
The answer from the book is [itex]\frac{L}{2} + \frac{h^2}{L}[/itex]

Working:
1586803810630.png

Physics news on Phys.org
I have worked it independently and get your answer.

1. What is the missing factor of 2 in an equilibrium problem?

In an equilibrium problem, the missing factor of 2 refers to the fact that the equilibrium constant (K) is equal to the ratio of the products over the reactants raised to the power of their respective coefficients. This means that if the coefficients of the reactants and products are not already balanced, a factor of 2 must be applied to the coefficients to ensure that the equilibrium constant is correct.

2. Why is the missing factor of 2 important in an equilibrium problem?

The missing factor of 2 is important because it ensures that the equilibrium constant is accurate and reflects the true equilibrium position of the reaction. Without this factor, the equilibrium constant would be incorrect and could lead to incorrect predictions about the direction of the reaction.

3. How do you determine the missing factor of 2 in an equilibrium problem?

To determine the missing factor of 2, you must first write out the balanced chemical equation for the reaction. Then, compare the coefficients of the reactants and products to ensure that they are balanced. If they are not, a factor of 2 must be applied to the coefficients to balance them and accurately calculate the equilibrium constant.

4. Can the missing factor of 2 be applied to all equilibrium problems?

Yes, the missing factor of 2 can be applied to all equilibrium problems, as it is a fundamental concept in equilibrium chemistry. It ensures that the equilibrium constant is accurate and reflects the true equilibrium position of the reaction.

5. What happens if the missing factor of 2 is not applied in an equilibrium problem?

If the missing factor of 2 is not applied in an equilibrium problem, the equilibrium constant will be incorrect and the direction of the reaction may be predicted incorrectly. This could lead to inaccurate conclusions about the reaction and its equilibrium position.