Missing transverse momentum azimuthial angle

In summary, the missing transverse momentum azimuthial angle φ is calculated by measuring the x- and y- components of the missing transverse momentum E_x,E_y and taking:\phi^{miss} = arctan(E_y/E_x)This is done by taking the signs of the x and y components of the missing transverse momentum and using the arctan function. φ can be found from the range [-π/2, π/2] by taking the appropriate sign of the azimuthal angle.
ChrisVer
Gold Member
A pretty straightforward question because right now I can't think how it works:
The missing transverse momentum azimuthial angle (φ) is calculated by measuring the x- and y- components of the missing transverse momentum [itex]E_x,E_y[/itex] and taking:
[itex]\phi^{miss} = arctan(E_y/E_x)[/itex]
https://cds.cern.ch/record/2037904/files/ATL-PHYS-PUB-2015-027.pdf (equation 3)

So if that's the final formula, then the [itex]\phi^{miss} \in [- \pi/2, \pi/2][/itex]...
how is it possible to span the whole range, [itex]\phi^{miss} \in [-\pi, \pi] [/itex] ?
wouldn't there have to be a case when [itex]E_x<0[/itex] to take an alternative formula?

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to take the signs into account. ATan2(x,y) in TMath (and similar functions in other libraries) take care of that.

Likes vanhees71
So how come this respectable collaboration doesn't mention such a simple thing ?

BvU said:
So how come this respectable collaboration doesn't mention such a simple thing ?
Sometimes jargon or "common sense" passes through papers or notes I guess... I guess everyone is used in this convention for such formulae for the azimuthial angle, while in real a different (yet similar one) is used.

It is something every particle physicist has to learn exactly once. Nearly all readers will know it, and reading the same description of both cases in every paper gets annoying quickly, so it might get skipped sometimes, especially in more technical notes.

How much trouble is it to write (or read) ##\ \operatorname{atan2}(E_y, E_x) \ ## instead of ##\ \arctan {E_y/ E_x} \ ## ?

It wrong-footed Chris !

atan2 is not a standard mathematical function.
C++ (and various other languages) and ROOT know what it is, however.

I don't say the note made the optimal presentation, but writing atan2 would be even worse I think.

mfb said:
atan2 is not a mathematical function
Granted. The way it's written now is simply wrong -- what's the bigger crime ?

In a previous paper (from run1) they had written arctan(Ey,Ex) ... that made it more clear... but even better was the fact that I could retrieve the missing ET phi straight from my truth derivation by asking for it instead of calculating it (math.h atan was more misleading there)...
Then there is also this seasonal thing that under heavy stress I cannot think properly :sorry:

ChrisVer said:
Then there is also this seasonal thing
Lucky you ! I have it all year round !

BvU said:
How much trouble is it to write (or read) ##\ \operatorname{atan2}(E_y, E_x) \ ## instead of ##\ \arctan {E_y/ E_x} \ ## ?

It wrong-footed Chris !
Well, you are obviously a Fortran guy, as I am myself (I'm getting old...). Anyway, the troupbe with atan2 is that it is not uniquely defined. In some programming languages it's ##\mathrm{atan2}(E_x,E_y)##.

I'll never forget this function, because I once used the infopage of gfortran (I don't remember the version number), and there they gave the wrong definition, i.e., the latter way, while in gfortran it is, of course defined in the fortran way with the order ##\mathrm{atan2}(E_y,E_x)##. It took me quite a while to debug this :-(.

A nice definition is
$$\phi=\mathrm{sign}E_y \arccos \left(\frac{E_x}{\sqrt{E_x^2+E_y^2}} \right ) \in (-\pi,\pi].$$

Likes BvU

What is Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle?

Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle, also known as phi, is a variable used in particle physics to describe the direction of the missing energy or momentum in a collision. It is measured in radians and can range from 0 to 2π.

Why is Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle important in physics?

Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle is important because it helps to understand the interactions and decay of particles in high-energy collisions. It can also provide evidence for the presence of undetected particles, such as dark matter.

How is Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle calculated?

The Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle is calculated using vector addition of the transverse momenta of all the particles in the event. It is the angle between the missing transverse momentum vector and a chosen reference axis, typically the beam axis.

What is the significance of the distribution of Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle?

The distribution of Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle can provide insight into the underlying physics of a collision. For example, a peak in the distribution at a specific angle may indicate the presence of a new particle or process.

Are there any challenges in measuring Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle?

Yes, there are challenges in measuring Missing Transverse Momentum Azimuthal Angle accurately. This is due to the complex nature of particle interactions and the presence of background events. Sophisticated techniques and algorithms are used to mitigate these challenges and improve the accuracy of the measurement.