1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Courses MIT course number for abstract algebra

1. Dec 25, 2007 #1
    Anybody know the name of the MIT course number for Abstract Algebra . Is it even listed as a course on the MIT opencourseware website?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 25, 2007 #2

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

algebra I, algebra II,

http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/web/courses/courses/index.htm#Mathematics

the course apparently used the text Algebra by michael artin however and the lecture notes on the site do not seem to form a good substitute for that text. i recommend buying the book. it is one of the books that is worth the price, especially if you get a good price on a used copy.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2007
  4. Dec 25, 2007 #3
    they don't seem to have a intro to abstract algebra course.

5. Dec 25, 2007 #4

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

that is their intro to abstract algebra. michael artin's book was written for the sophomore algebra course. one of my ex students took it there, and michael is a friend of mine, and i taught out of the book at UGA. at MIT that is the beginning course even if it looks like a grad course elsewhere.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?