Evaluating Eligibility for MIT Transfer Program

In summary, the conversation is about the chances of the speaker being accepted into the MIT transfer program. The speaker is a student at IT-BHU with a high CGPA and good test scores, but limited funds. They have also been involved in extracurricular activities and have written papers and essays. However, other participants in the conversation believe that the competition for transfer students is incredibly high and the speaker may have a better chance as a graduate student. They also mention the importance of strong recommendation letters and published papers. Overall, the chances of the speaker being accepted as a transfer student are low.
d10
Hi everyone!
I'm a student at IT-BHU,India.I've completed 2 semesters and i have a cgpa of 9.65.I'm a Mechanical Engineering student.I want to apply for the MIT transfer program.Since I have limited funds,I want to know about my chances before applying.I took the SAT 1(2240), SAT 2 (790 in physics,766 in math) and TOEFL(612) last year.However,I featured in the top 2.5% in my first attempt at IITJEE(not enough to get into IIT).So I took a second shot and landed at (I)IT-BHU.Also during that year(the year preceding the 2nd JEE) I wrote papers on Robotics(humanoid balance) and Electromagnetic Radiations and an essay on topological constraints on warping of space-time.Prior to that I've been in the school soccer team(playing at the national level),the school band,and held informal classes for juniors for physics.I've mostly worked in the school labs and so made a lot of rough essays on my experiments and projects(most of them apart from the textbook).I managed a meagre 82% in my class 12.At college I'm a part of the instructor team(from my freshman year itself)of the automotive engineering and robotics clubs,apart from the college sports teams.I'm not VERY popular with the professors due to my attendance record(due to the time I spend for sports,at the local hospital,unorthodox experiments and teaching a poor group of students outside the campus).
Am I a competitive candidate for the MIT transfer program?Also is it true that Caltech doesn't fund transfer students anymore?or is it just the un-updated site?!

Physics news on Phys.org
MIT admits 7 or so students from India per year in regular admissions. Transfers are more competitive still.

We should really make a sticky or something :/ There are about 4+ threads like this per week.

In short, I agree with Vanadium. It's INCREDIBLY competitive, so unless you tinker around with fusion reactors in your spare time or got a number of articles published, I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

@Vanadium,does it mean I don't stand a chance?
@MissSilvy,I got 2 papers and an essay as of now(see above).perhaps by the time i actually send my application(if at all)there may be time for 1 more(if i find something suitable)
beside, will my automotive engg,quantum physics(string theory) and astro physics informal knowledge not be a plus?so do you mean i shouldn't apply?(because $70 is really something for me..)also please comment on the CalTech issue.
more opinions would be welcome..

When you say "papers", do you mean published papers? In scientific journals? and what do you mean by "informal knowledge"?

No you are not a competitive candidate for the transfer program. Sorry.

I think you've got a much better shot if you focus on getting admitted as a graduate student either to MIT or some other US university.

Something that will serious hurt your chances is that you do need to by popular with at least three professors that will write excellent recommendation letters. Unless they are peer reviewed papers in an established journal, essays are not going to be useful.

IT-BHU is pretty good. Continue and finish your B.Tech there (I suppose that is what you are doing). Your CGPA is good, try to maintain it. Do some research, both in your institute and other institutes like IISc, TIFR, ... they have summer intern programmes. If these things go well, you should have a good shot at one of the top US univs for grad school.

i presented the papers at IIT,Delhi and Kanpur during the national CSIR recognized paper presentation conference.By informal knowledge ,I mean I've heard most lectures on the subjects on the internet and done a few books,plus worked in garages.
@twofish..what is exactly wrong with my candidature?my school record?or college record?I mean can I apply next year with a few more things up my sleeve?

d10 said:
i presented the papers at IIT,Delhi and Kanpur during the national CSIR recognized paper presentation conference.By informal knowledge ,I mean I've heard most lectures on the subjects on the internet and done a few books,plus worked in garages.
@twofish..what is exactly wrong with my candidature?my school record?or college record?I mean can I apply next year with a few more things up my sleeve?

Think about what vanadium said. Less than 7 people are accepted transferring from India in a year. Can you believe you are one of the top 7 people in your country that applied to MIT? Even if you think so, as twofish said, without recommendations, it's not going to happen.

Put another way, at one point you said you were in the top 2.5%. The fraction who can transfer is closer to 0.00003%.

1. How do I know if I am eligible for the MIT Transfer Program?

To be eligible for the MIT Transfer Program, you must be currently enrolled in an accredited college or university and have completed at least one semester or quarter of full-time coursework. You must also have completed or be in the process of completing coursework in calculus, physics, chemistry, and biology.

2. Can international students apply for the MIT Transfer Program?

Yes, international students can apply for the MIT Transfer Program. However, they must have completed at least one year of full-time coursework at an accredited college or university in the United States or Canada.

3. Is there a minimum GPA requirement for the MIT Transfer Program?

Yes, applicants to the MIT Transfer Program must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale. However, meeting this requirement does not guarantee admission.

4. Can I transfer to MIT for any major?

No, not all majors are open to transfer students at MIT. Some majors, such as Biological Engineering and Mechanical Engineering, have limited space and are not open to transfer students. It is important to check with the specific department for the major you are interested in before applying.

5. Are there any specific application requirements for the MIT Transfer Program?

In addition to completing the online application, applicants to the MIT Transfer Program must submit official transcripts, a college report, two academic evaluations, and a mid-term report. They must also complete the Transfer Student Supplement, which includes a personal statement and additional short answer questions.