1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

MIT transfer?

1. Jun 23, 2010 #1

d10

Hi everyone!
    I'm a student at IT-BHU,India.I've completed 2 semesters and i have a cgpa of 9.65.I'm a Mechanical Engineering student.I want to apply for the MIT transfer program.Since I have limited funds,I want to know about my chances before applying.I took the SAT 1(2240), SAT 2 (790 in physics,766 in math) and TOEFL(612) last year.However,I featured in the top 2.5% in my first attempt at IITJEE(not enough to get into IIT).So I took a second shot and landed at (I)IT-BHU.Also during that year(the year preceding the 2nd JEE) I wrote papers on Robotics(humanoid balance) and Electromagnetic Radiations and an essay on topological constraints on warping of space-time.Prior to that I've been in the school soccer team(playing at the national level),the school band,and held informal classes for juniors for physics.I've mostly worked in the school labs and so made a lot of rough essays on my experiments and projects(most of them apart from the text book).I managed a meagre 82% in my class 12.At college I'm a part of the instructor team(from my freshman year itself)of the automotive engineering and robotics clubs,apart from the college sports teams.I'm not VERY popular with the professors due to my attendance record(due to the time I spend for sports,at the local hospital,unorthodox experiments and teaching a poor group of students outside the campus).
    Am I a competitive candidate for the MIT transfer program?Also is it true that Caltech doesn't fund transfer students anymore?or is it just the un-updated site?!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 23, 2010 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

MIT admits 7 or so students from India per year in regular admissions. Transfers are more competitive still.

4. Jun 23, 2010 #3
    We should really make a sticky or something :/ There are about 4+ threads like this per week.

In short, I agree with Vanadium. It's INCREDIBLY competitive, so unless you tinker around with fusion reactors in your spare time or got a number of articles published, I wouldn't hang my hat on it.

5. Jun 23, 2010 #4

d10

@Vanadium,does it mean I dont stand a chance?
    @MissSilvy,I got 2 papers and an essay as of now(see above).perhaps by the time i actually send my application(if at all)there may be time for 1 more(if i find something suitable)
    beside, will my automotive engg,quantum physics(string theory) and astro physics informal knowledge not be a plus?so do you mean i shouldn't apply?(because $70 is really something for me..)also please comment on the CalTech issue.
    more opinions would be welcome..

6. Jun 23, 2010 #5

Pengwuino

Gold Member

When you say "papers", do you mean published papers? In scientific journals? and what do you mean by "informal knowledge"?

7. Jun 23, 2010 #6
    No you are not a competitive candidate for the transfer program. Sorry.

I think you've got a much better shot if you focus on getting admitted as a graduate student either to MIT or some other US university.

Something that will serious hurt your chances is that you do need to by popular with at least three professors that will write excellent recommendation letters. Unless they are peer reviewed papers in an established journal, essays are not going to be useful.

8. Jun 24, 2010 #7
    IT-BHU is pretty good. Continue and finish your B.Tech there (I suppose that is what you are doing). Your CGPA is good, try to maintain it. Do some research, both in your institute and other institutes like IISc, TIFR, ... they have summer intern programmes. If these things go well, you should have a good shot at one of the top US univs for grad school.

9. Jun 25, 2010 #8

d10

i presented the papers at IIT,Delhi and Kanpur during the national CSIR recognized paper presentation conference.By informal knowledge ,I mean I've heard most lectures on the subjects on the internet and done a few books,plus worked in garages.
    @twofish..what is exactly wrong with my candidature?my school record?or college record?I mean can I apply next year with a few more things up my sleeve?

10. Jun 25, 2010 #9

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Think about what vanadium said. Less than 7 people are accepted transferring from India in a year. Can you believe you are one of the top 7 people in your country that applied to MIT? Even if you think so, as twofish said, without recommendations, it's not going to happen.

11. Jun 26, 2010 #10

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2017 Award

Put another way, at one point you said you were in the top 2.5%. The fraction who can transfer is closer to 0.00003%.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook