Mixed urine with small amount of diluted household bleach

• Thread starter xmasfriend
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mixed
In summary, the person is bedbound and uses a bottle to urinate in. After each use, the bottle is rinsed with bleach and filled with water before being returned. There is a small amount of bleach water in the bottle, but it is unlikely to be dangerous as the amount of ammonia in urine is diluted by the bleach.
xmasfriend
So I'm currently bedbound at the moment. I have a bottle to urinate in.

After every time I go, the bottle is taken away, rinsed out with a cap full of household bleach. The bottle is filled up with water (bottle holds1000 mL) then it is emptied and returned to me.

There is a small amount of bleachey water at the bottom of the bottle. (No more than a tea spoon full)

Urine has ammonia in it, are they reacting and is it dangerous?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
The short answer is probably no, the amount of ammonia in urine and the diluted chlorine from the bleach in the water would be unlikely to yield anything dangerous. Mixing pure ammonia and straight bleach can produce chloramine gas which is poisonous. What's happening here is probably equivalent to peeing in a heavily chlorinated swimming pool.

1. What happens when urine is mixed with small amount of diluted household bleach?

When urine is mixed with a small amount of diluted household bleach, a chemical reaction occurs. This reaction produces chlorine gas, which can cause respiratory irritation and other health problems if inhaled in large quantities.

2. Is it dangerous to mix urine with diluted household bleach?

Yes, it can be dangerous to mix urine with diluted household bleach. As mentioned before, this reaction creates chlorine gas which can be harmful if inhaled. Additionally, the combination of urine and bleach can also produce other toxic substances.

3. Why does the mixture of urine and diluted household bleach produce chlorine gas?

Urine contains urea, a compound that reacts with the hypochlorite in bleach to produce chlorine gas. This reaction is accelerated when the bleach is diluted, as there is more water available to react with the urea.

4. What are the potential health effects of inhaling chlorine gas from the mixture of urine and diluted household bleach?

Inhaling chlorine gas can cause irritation to the respiratory system, including the lungs and throat. It can also cause coughing, wheezing, and difficulty breathing. In high concentrations, it can be fatal.

5. How can I safely dispose of a mixture of urine and diluted household bleach?

The best way to dispose of a mixture of urine and diluted household bleach is to dilute it even further with water and then flush it down the toilet. Avoid mixing bleach with other substances, and always follow the instructions on the label for safe use and disposal of cleaning products.