Mixing Teas: Solve to Find the Amounts of Each Kind!”

  • Topic:
  • Thread starter Thread starter linapril
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mixing
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
linapril
Messages
22
Reaction score
0
In a tea shop one mixes two different kinds of tea to get a new flavor. One of the kinds costs 135kr/kg, the other costs 168kr/kg. How large amounts of each kind have you taken if the mixture costs 150kr/kg?

I tried setting up this equation system:
135x + 168y = 150
x+y=1

but I don't think it was right...
 
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: Equation system - help needed!

linapril said:
In a tea shop one mixes two different kinds of tea to get a new flavor. One of the kinds costs 135kr/kg, the other costs 168kr/kg. How large amounts of each kind have you taken if the mixture costs 150kr/kg?

I tried setting up this equation system:
135x + 168y = 150
x+y=1

but I don't think it was right...

Hi linapril!

Your equation system is right.
I suggest you rewrite the second one as y=(1-x) and substitute that in the first.