MMO Servers Can you rent one or must you buy?

• Thread starter Adder_Noir
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the cost and feasibility of renting or buying servers for MMO games like Planetside and Battleground Europe. The question is raised whether it is possible for the average person or group to afford such servers or if it is only feasible for larger businesses. The mention of Amazon EC2 as a possible solution is also brought up.
Adder_Noir
Hi quick question chaps I am curious as to how much some of those big firms are paying for their MMO server rentals or do they even have to buy them?

What sort of sized server would you need to run a game like Planetside or Battleground Europe and how expensive are they. Is it even possible to rent one or must you buy one and set-up your own business quality communications package to it to handle the data? Sounds hugely expensive to me is this even - or will it ever - be in the realm of the normal man/group or do you need business sized wallets to do stuff like this?

I'd love to know thanks :smile:

Computer science news on Phys.org
See Amazon EC2 ?

Ok thanks I googled it that was a good link cheers!

1. Can I rent an MMO server instead of buying one?

Yes, you can rent an MMO server from various hosting companies. This is a popular option for players who do not want to commit to owning and managing their own server.

2. What are the advantages of renting an MMO server?

Renting an MMO server can save you time and money, as the hosting company is responsible for maintaining the server and fixing any technical issues. It also allows you to easily switch to a different server or upgrade your server if needed.

3. Do I have full control over a rented MMO server?

It depends on the hosting company and the type of server you rent. Some hosting companies may restrict certain settings or features, while others may give you full control over your server.

4. Can I customize my rented MMO server?

Yes, most hosting companies allow you to customize your rented server to some extent. This may include changing game settings, adding mods or plugins, and creating custom content.

5. Is it cheaper to rent or buy an MMO server?

Renting an MMO server is generally cheaper than buying one, especially if you only need the server for a short period of time. However, if you plan on using the server for a long time, buying a server may be more cost-effective in the long run.