Model for series radioactive decay

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of decay from nucleus A to B, B to C, and C decaying at a rate c. The model for this process is set up by starting from A, and then writing differential equations for B and C. The differential equation for C is confusing because it is proportional to both A and B, but it is dying out due to its own decaying process. The speaker is questioning whether or not to include a term for A(t) in the differential equation for C. The suggested approach is to first write each variable's differential equation before plugging in known quantities, as it is more methodical and avoids confusion.
KFC
If nucleus A decays to nucleus B in rate a, and B decays to C in rate b, and C is decaying at the rate c. To setup a model for that process, we start from A

[tex]
\frac{dA}{dt} = - a A(t)
[/tex]

and for B, part for B is dying out from it's own decaying process but some amount of A will decay into B, so

[tex]
\frac{dB}{dt} = a A(t) - bB(t)
[/tex]

But for C, it is quite confusing, the total number of C is proportional to the number of B directly but also to that of A indirectly, of course it will dying out due to it's own decaying process. My question is should I include a term for A(t) in the different equation for C? That is, should I write

[tex]
\frac{dC}{dt} = a A(t) + bB(t) - cC(t)
[/tex]

or

[tex]
\frac{dC}{dt} = bB(t) - cC(t)
[/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
The reason you are having trouble is because you are trying to do too many steps at once. Write each variable's differential equation first, e.g.

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = - \frac{dA}{dt} - bB(t) [/tex]

i.e. the amount added minus the amount lost. Then and only then start plugging in known quantities.

I know it's tempting to take short cuts, but you are really much better off being methodical.

Vanadium 50 said:
The reason you are having trouble is because you are trying to do too many steps at once. Write each variable's differential equation first, e.g.

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = - \frac{dA}{dt} - bB(t) [/tex]

i.e. the amount added minus the amount lost. Then and only then start plugging in known quantities.

I know it's tempting to take short cuts, but you are really much better off being methodical.

Got it. Thanks

1. What is a model for series radioactive decay?

A model for series radioactive decay is a mathematical representation of how unstable atoms of a radioactive element will decay over time, producing other unstable atoms until a stable, non-radioactive element is reached.

2. How does the model for series radioactive decay work?

The model for series radioactive decay uses the concept of half-life, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the atoms in a sample to decay. Each time a radioactive atom decays, it may produce another unstable atom, which in turn will decay and produce more unstable atoms until a stable element is reached.

3. Why is the model for series radioactive decay important?

The model for series radioactive decay is important because it allows scientists to predict and understand the behavior of radioactive elements and their decay products. This knowledge is crucial in fields such as nuclear energy, medicine, and geology.

4. How is the model for series radioactive decay used in real life?

The model for series radioactive decay is used in various applications such as radiometric dating, which is used to determine the age of rocks and fossils. It is also used in medical imaging techniques such as PET scans, and in nuclear power plants to control and monitor the decay of radioactive materials.

5. What are the limitations of the model for series radioactive decay?

The model for series radioactive decay assumes that the decay process is constant, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account external factors such as temperature and pressure, which can affect the rate of decay. Additionally, the model does not account for the potential formation of new unstable elements during the decay process.