Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Model for series radioactive decay

1. Dec 29, 2008 #1

KFC

If nucleus A decays to nucleus B in rate a, and B decays to C in rate b, and C is decaying at the rate c. To setup a model for that process, we start from A

[tex]
    \frac{dA}{dt} = - a A(t)
    [/tex]

and for B, part for B is dying out from it's own decaying process but some amount of A will decay into B, so

[tex]
    \frac{dB}{dt} = a A(t) - bB(t)
    [/tex]

But for C, it is quite confusing, the total number of C is proportional to the number of B directly but also to that of A indirectly, of course it will dying out due to it's own decaying process. My question is should I include a term for A(t) in the different equation for C? That is, should I write

[tex]
    \frac{dC}{dt} = a A(t) + bB(t) - cC(t)
    [/tex]

or

[tex]
    \frac{dC}{dt} = bB(t) - cC(t)
    [/tex]

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 29, 2008 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2015 Award

The reason you are having trouble is because you are trying to do too many steps at once. Write each variable's differential equation first, e.g.

[tex]\frac{dB}{dt} = - \frac{dA}{dt} - bB(t) [/tex]

i.e. the amount added minus the amount lost. Then and only then start plugging in known quantities.

I know it's tempting to take short cuts, but you are really much better off being methodical.

4. Dec 29, 2008 #3

KFC

Got it. Thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?