Modules for Theoretical Physics

In summary, the conversation discusses the choice of modules for a math major who wants to become a theoretical physicist. It is recommended to choose courses in Quantum Mechanics, Statistical Physics, Advanced Classical Mechanics, Classical Field Theory, Differential Geometry, General Relativity, Classical Electrodynamics, Partial Differential Equations, Functional Analysis, and Algebraic Topology. The selection should also be based on personal interest and the possibility of picking up missed areas during a PhD program. A total of 6 modules can be chosen in each term, resulting in a total of 24 modules for the entire program.
Maybe_Memorie
Right so I'm a math major but what I really want to be is a theoretical physicist.
3rd and 4th year is when everything gets very specified, and I'm wondering which of the following modules would be most useful for that path?

Here are the modules.
Only 6 can be chosen from each term.

http://www.maths.tcd.ie/undergraduate/modules/index.php?file=jsmaths"

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To get the ball rolling I'd say pick from Quantum Mechanics I & II, Statistical Physics I & II, Advanced Classical Mechanics I & II, Classical Field Theory, Differential Geometry I, General Relativity, Classical Electrodynamics, Partial Differential Equations I & II, Functional Analysis I & II, Algebraic Topology I & II.

It depends a bit upon what area of theoretical physics you wish to go into, for example, if you go into condensed matter, General Relativity (whilst interesting) will be useless. In my opinion, I would suggest that Quantum Mechanics I & II and Statistical Physics I & II are somewhat essential.

I think it's also important to select the courses that interest you the most, since most people find they do better when they really enjoy a topic, and you can always pick up any areas you miss during your PhD or whatever.

By '6 each term', do you mean 6 each term in both years (i.e. a total of 24) or 3 each term in both years (i.e. a total of 12)?

As far as I know, it's 6 each term in both years.

1. What is the purpose of modules in theoretical physics?

Modules in theoretical physics are used to organize and categorize different topics and concepts within the field. They help to break down complex theories into smaller, manageable units for easier understanding and application.

2. How are modules used in theoretical physics?

Modules are used as building blocks for constructing larger theories and models. They can also be used as teaching tools, where each module focuses on a specific topic or concept, allowing for a more structured and comprehensive approach to learning.

3. What are some common modules in theoretical physics?

Some common modules in theoretical physics include quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, classical mechanics, electromagnetism, and relativity. These modules cover a wide range of topics and are essential for understanding many physical phenomena.

4. How do modules in theoretical physics relate to each other?

Modules in theoretical physics are interconnected, and understanding one module is often necessary for understanding another. For example, understanding quantum mechanics is crucial for understanding particle physics, which is a module that studies the behavior of subatomic particles.

5. Are modules in theoretical physics limited to certain topics or fields?

No, modules in theoretical physics can cover a broad range of topics and are not limited to a specific field or subfield. They can also be used to study interdisciplinary topics, such as biophysics or astrophysics, which combine principles from different modules to explain complex phenomena.