Modus Ponens on A Deduction?

• Thread starter darkchild
  • Start date
In summary, in the proof of a theorem, we are given that Δ\vdash\forallvP and there exists an axiom scheme \vdash\forallvP\rightarrowP(t/v). Using modus ponens, we can infer that Δ\vdashP(t/v). This means that we can deduce P(t/v) from the set of statements Δ. The axiom scheme should be changed to \vdash\forallvP\rightarrowP(t/v) and modus ponens is a rule that allows us to infer the statement P(t/v) from the premises ∀vP and ∀vP→P(t/v).
darkchild
P is a one-place predicate, t is a constant, v is a variable of P. P(t/v) denotes replacing v by t in P.

In the proof of a theorem, it is given that

Δ[itex]\vdash[/itex][itex]\forall[/itex]vP.
(meaning [itex]\forall[/itex]vP is deduced from the set of statements Δ.)

There exists an axiom scheme

[itex]\vdash[/itex]\forall[/itex]vP[itex]\rightarrow[/itex](P(t/v).

Then modus ponens is applied to these two to prove that

Δ[itex]\vdash[/itex]P(t/v).

I've never seen modus ponens applied to a deduction and it is used with so I scarcely know what to ask...how is this permissible? How does it work...same as regular modus ponens? Is there a proof that this is shows this is the same as modus ponens, or a definition that describes it?

Physics news on Phys.org
The axiom scheme should be

[itex]\vdash\forall[/itex]v→P(t/v).

Also, the last paragraph of my original post should say "it is used without explanation, so I scarcely know what to ask." Meaning give me whatever relevant information you've got.

This is a day late and a dollar short since your question is from November but ...

I think the axiom scheme should be ∀vP→P(t/v) so we are given the following as premises:

∀vP
∀vP→P(t/v)

notice that this has the form
1. A
2. A→B

Modus ponens is the rule that says that given 1 and 2 we may infer B, i.e., P(t/v)

1. What is Modus Ponens on a Deduction?

Modus Ponens is a rule of inference in deductive reasoning that allows us to draw a conclusion from a conditional statement and its antecedent. It follows the logical form: If A, then B; A, therefore B. This is a fundamental principle in deductive logic.

2. How does Modus Ponens work in a deduction?

To use Modus Ponens in a deduction, we begin with a conditional statement (If A, then B) and the premise that the antecedent (A) is true. From this, we can logically conclude that the consequent (B) must also be true. This is based on the assumption that both the conditional statement and the premise are true, and that the rule of Modus Ponens is being followed.

3. What is the difference between Modus Ponens and Modus Tollens?

Modus Ponens and Modus Tollens are both rules of inference in deductive reasoning, but they are used for different purposes. Modus Ponens allows us to affirm a consequent based on a conditional statement and its antecedent, while Modus Tollens allows us to deny the antecedent based on a conditional statement and its negation. In simpler terms, Modus Ponens leads to a positive conclusion, while Modus Tollens leads to a negative conclusion.

4. Can Modus Ponens be used in everyday life?

Yes, Modus Ponens can be applied to everyday situations. It is a foundational principle in logical reasoning and is used in various fields, including mathematics, computer science, and law. For example, if a person knows that if they study for a test, they will do well (If A, then B) and they study (A), they can logically conclude that they will do well on the test (B).

5. What are some common mistakes when using Modus Ponens in a deduction?

One common mistake is assuming that the consequent (B) is always true, even if the antecedent (A) is true. This is a logical fallacy known as affirming the consequent. Another mistake is taking the conditional statement (If A, then B) as a biconditional statement (If and only if A, then B), which is a different rule of inference. It is important to correctly identify the type of statement being used in order to apply the rule of Modus Ponens accurately.