Molar mass= xCalculating Molar Mass of an Ideal Gas

  • Thread starter Thread starter UWMpanther
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Mass
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
6 replies · 11K views
UWMpanther
Messages
25
Reaction score
0
[SOLVED] Solving for molar mass

Homework Statement


What is the molar mass of an ideal gas if a 0.622g sample of this gas occupies a volume of 300mL at 35*C and 789mm Hg?


Homework Equations


PV = nRT


The Attempt at a Solution


So n= no. moles present
So I assumed n=.622/x

so : x= .622gRT/PV
 
Physics news on Phys.org
[tex]n=\frac{grams}{\frac{grams}{mole}}=\frac{grams}{M}[/tex]

Solve for big M.

Make sure you convert all your units, R has the units:

[tex]R=\frac{L*atm}{K*mol}[/tex]
 
Last edited:
Ok so I am very confused here. How do I know how many moles I have? And do I need the entire PV= nRT formula?
 
UWMpanther said:
Ok so I am very confused here. How do I know how many moles I have? And do I need the entire PV= nRT formula?
You do not need to know how many moles there are. I accidentally mistyped it, hopefully you see that I fixed it.

Eventually, you will end up with the units g/mol, and you'll be fine from there.

And yes, you need the entire equation, because R will allow you to attain the units moles and it will cancel out the other ones you do not need.
 
is R not a constant? 0.08206 [tex]L\ atm\ mol^-^1\ K^-^1[/tex]


so [tex]M=\frac {grams\ast R\ast T} {P\ast V}[/tex]

convert 3mL to .300L and 789mm Hg to 1.038atm
 
No R is a constant, I'm not sure what I said to imply it wasn't but it is.

You're answer is correct, you get g/mol once you cancel out common units.