1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Percent Yield - Unsure of Which Molar Mass to Use

1. Dec 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A percent yield lab says to add 5.00 g of CuCl2•2H2O(s) to 50 mL of dissolved water. Then, add 1.0 g of steel wool (100% iron) to the beaker.

I am trying to find out how many moles of CuCl2 react here. I am confused about the dihydrate.

2. Relevant equations
    The reaction given in the lab is

Fe(s) + CuCl2(aq) → FeCl2(aq) + Cu(s)

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find out how many moles of CuCl2•2H2O(s) I used, do I calcuate the molar mass including the dihydrate? Or do I use just the molar mass of CuCl2?

I think I am supposed to include the dihydrate in the molar mass calculation, but I'm confused because the dihydrate doesn't appear in the reaction. It doesn't react with anything. So wouldn't I need to figure out how many moles of CuCl2 there were, not how many moles of CuCl2•2H2O(s)?

Also, I know the CuCl2•2H2O(s) is the excess reactant, but to show that, I need to find out how many moles of it I have first.

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2014 #2

Bystander

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

You're preparing the solution from the dihydrate. Does the balance know you're only interested in CuCl2?

4. Dec 14, 2014 #3
    When you measure out 5.00 g onto the balance, the dihydrate is included. The number of moles of reactant sitting on the balance would be calculated using the molar mass of CuCl2 • 2H2O.

That much I know. But when you add the CuCl2•2H2O(s) to a beaker of water, what happens to the dihydrate? Does it stay attached to the CuCl2? I guess it doesn't matter... 1 mol of CuCl2•2H2O(s) would still correspond to 1 mol of CuCl2 right?

5. Dec 14, 2014 #4

Borek

Staff: Mentor

Yes.

Hydration water can be important when you are interested in the amount of water present. Say, you prepare a solution by using 1 g of dihydrate and 10 g of water and you need to know the exact, final concentration. But in typical situations we add water to the mark - so the final amount doesn't depend on the presence of hydration water at all.

6. Dec 14, 2014 #5
    Okay, that makes sense. In this case, the amount of water doesn't matter anyway. Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted