Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Molecular orbitals sigma and pi

1. Apr 17, 2014 #1
    hi! i have a doubt, how can i know the total number of bonding and antibonding electrons given a diatomic molecule's electronic configuration in therms of sigma and pi orbitals?

I have to add these σ and π orbitals are of the type gerade and ungerade. does anyone can help me?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 17, 2014 #2
    The elecronic configuration is
    $$1\sigma^2_{g}1\sigma^2_{u}2\sigma^2_{g}2\sigma^2_{u}1\pi^4_{u}3\sigma^2_{g}1\pi^2_{g}$$

4. Apr 17, 2014 #3

DrDu

Science Advisor

If you look at pictures of bonding and antibonding sigma and pi orbitals then it is immediately clear from inversion symmetry that bonding sigma orbitals are g and bonding pi orbitals are u, while antibonding sigma are u and antibonding pi are g. Hence you can easily count the number of bonding and antibonding orbitals.

5. Apr 18, 2014 #4
    Hey thank u very much i havent look at the orbital pictures and this topic wasnt explained at class, thanks

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook