Energy differences of molecular orbitals

In summary, the conversation discussed the comparison of energy differences between the 1s antibonding orbital and the 2s bonding orbital in molecules A-A and A-B. It was mentioned that antibonding orbitals are generally higher in energy than bonding orbitals, and that MO diagrams can be constructed by following certain rules. This skill is typically taught in inorganic chemistry at universities. However, there was some confusion about the energy levels of the 1s and 2s orbitals, with one person stating that the 1s antibonding orbital has higher energy than the 2s bonding orbital, which was later corrected. The textbook states that for homonuclear diatomic molecules of the first 10 elements, from H
Suppose we have a molecule A-A and a molecule A-B . And we want to compare the differences in energy of the different molecular orbitals for example the 1s antibonding orbital with the 2s bonding orbital.How can we do that?

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
Antibonding orbitals are higher in energy than bonding orbitals. you can construct MO diagrams by following certain rules. at my university the skill is taught in inorganic chemistry

• Skeptical
Likes Helena Wells
docnet said:
Antibonding orbitals are higher in energy than bonding orbitals. you can construct MO diagrams by following certain rules. at my university the skill is taught in inorganic chemistry
I don't think that is true . Are you saying the 1s antibonding orbital has higher energy than the 2s bonding orbital?

Helena Wells said:
I don't think that is true . Are you saying the 1s antibonding orbital has higher energy than the 2s bonding orbital?
I was mistaken. Now I don't think the question makes any sense.

Here you go. My textbook says 2s-2s bonding orbitals are higher in energy than the 1s-1s antibonding orbitals for homonuclear diatomiicc molecules of the first 10 elements, from H to Ne.
Screen Shot 2021-02-21 at 5.52.43 PM.png

Attachments

• 2021-02-21 17-50.pdf
    480.3 KB · Views: 171

Suggested for: Energy differences of molecular orbitals

Back