Moller Flying Saucers starting at $125K

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Flying
In summary, the flying car business is tough, due to high prices and regulatory hurdles, but Moller is taking a more measured approach with their flying saucer. They're still in the early development stages, but it's an innovative approach nonetheless.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Flying Cars, Priced to Move
Times are tough in the flying car business. The million-dollar pricetag tends to keep the customers away. The regulatory headaches are intense. And it's not like the things are rolling off the production line, anyway. So rather than roll out their full-fledged, four-passenger, 375 mile-per-hour (lack of) roadster, Moller International executives are taking a more measured approach. They're building a flying saucer instead. [continued with video]
http://blog.wired.com/defense/2007/04/flying_cars_pri.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Oh I need one of those! Road work had lenthened my drive time to work by 20 minutes:mad:

Does anyone know the song used in that video? Now there's ambient music that would be nice to read to.

Knavish said:
Does anyone know the song used in that video? Now there's ambient music that would be nice to read to.

I think the quotes said it was "Deep Breakfast" by Ray Lynch.

Moller makes me laugh. He's finally coming to the realization that his flying car is not going to be viable in two of his lifetimes.

...and it only cost him one life and a marriage.

Just in time to watch the oil supply dry up.

Now he can work on a hydrogen fusion model.

That's a pretty useless machine.

That is pretty awesome, creating control surfaces must have been a nightmare, well done. One can only think of all the critisism Leonardo Davinci had to put up with when he made the first drawing of a helicopter, look at it now!

I'll think about them a little more when they trust them enough not to be on a harness

ivan moller said:
That is pretty awesome, creating control surfaces must have been a nightmare, well done. One can only think of all the critisism Leonardo Davinci had to put up with when he made the first drawing of a helicopter, look at it now!

Of course it did take another 450 years to build one.

But, since you are a fellow Moller, we'll be nice. :biggrin:

What is a Moller Flying Saucer?

A Moller Flying Saucer is a type of personal aircraft designed and manufactured by Moller International. It is a vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft that uses multiple ducted fans for propulsion and control.

How much does a Moller Flying Saucer cost?

The starting price for a Moller Flying Saucer is $125,000. However, the final cost may vary depending on customization options and any additional features chosen by the buyer.

What is the maximum speed of a Moller Flying Saucer?

The maximum speed of a Moller Flying Saucer is 375 mph (603 km/h). However, the speed may be limited depending on the altitude and weather conditions during flight.

What is the maximum altitude a Moller Flying Saucer can reach?

A Moller Flying Saucer can reach a maximum altitude of 10,000 feet (3,048 meters). However, the exact altitude may vary depending on the weight of the aircraft and the number of passengers on board.

Do I need a special license to fly a Moller Flying Saucer?

Yes, you will need a special license to fly a Moller Flying Saucer. In the United States, this would be a Sport Pilot License or Private Pilot License with a Powered Lift (PL) rating. Other countries may have different licensing requirements.

Back