Moment of inertia about a perpendicular axis through its center?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
sp3sp2sp
Messages
100
Reaction score
4

Homework Statement


A 15-cm-diameter CD has a mass of 21 g .
What is the CD's moment of inertia for rotation about a perpendicular axis through its center?

Homework Equations


I = (1/2)MR^2

3. The Attempt at a Solution

I = (1/2)(0.21g).((15/2)^2)
= 5.9*10^-4 kg*m^2

cant see what I am doing wrong but mastering physics says this is the wrong answer. thanks for any help
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Apart from the mixed up units, you seem to use 0.21 g instead of 21 g. What's the book's answer?
 
thanks i fixed the units but i don't have answer because its mastering physics. I've used 1 attempt so far and my answer is definitely wrong in some way

I = (1/2)(0.21kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-4 kg*m^2
 
sp3sp2sp said:
thanks i fixed the units but i don't have answer because its mastering physics. I've used 1 attempt so far and my answer is definitely wrong in some way

I = (1/2)(0.21kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-4 kg*m^2

Again there seems to be a problem with the mass: 1000 g = 1 kg ##\rightarrow## 21 g = ...
 
wow that was a dumb error. Ok so it should be

I = (1/2)(0.021kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-5 kg*m^2

But mastering-p didnt say i have a "rounding error" or something..it just said its wrong. So is this answer correct though befiore I submit again? thanks
 
sp3sp2sp said:
wow that was a dumb error. Ok so it should be

I = (1/2)(0.021kg).((0.15m/2)^2)

= 5.9v*v10^-5 kg*m^2

But mastering-p didnt say i have a "rounding error" or something..it just said its wrong. So is this answer correct though befiore I submit again? thanks

The formula seems to be correct to me, my calculator says: 5.90625 ⋅ 10-5, but I don't know how you are expected to round or if there is something else to consider, but the formula yields the moment of inertia for a solid cylinder rotating around its vertical axis ...