Moment of inertia and angular speed of skater

In summary, the skater begins with an angular speed of 6 rad/s and decreases her moment of inertia by 50% by changing the position of her arms. Using the conservation of angular momentum equation, her final angular speed is calculated to be 12 rad/s.
Confused_07

Homework Statement

A 60kg skater begins a spin with an angular speed of 6 rad/s. By changing the position of her arms, the skater decreases her moment of intertia by 50%. What is the skater's final angular speed?

Homework Equations

I understand that I=m*(r^2), so if the radius decreases when she puts her arns in, then the initertia decreases.

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt at this is that since it decreases by 50%, then the angular speed must increase by two to compensate. Is this correct and that her final speed is 9 rad/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
I=m*r^2 describes how to decrease moment of inertia - but doesn't tell you much about angular speed. You'll want to be thinking about angular momentum, which is conserved.

"My attempt at this is that since it decreases by 50%, then the angular speed must increase by two to compensate"

you are correct but 6 x 2 does not equal 9

Ah...

Lf = Lo
[I(final) * w(final)] = [I(initial) * w(initial)]
w(final) = [I(initial) * w(initial)] / I(final)

*If I(initial) = 2, and, I(initial) * 50%= 1, then her final speed is 12 rad/s.

Why I typed 9 I don't know... :D, I meant 12...

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It depends on an object's mass and how its mass is distributed around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia related to angular speed?

The moment of inertia of an object affects its angular speed, or how fast it rotates. A larger moment of inertia means the object will rotate slower for a given amount of torque, while a smaller moment of inertia will result in a faster rotation.

3. How does a skater's position affect their moment of inertia?

A skater's moment of inertia changes depending on their position. When the skater is standing upright, their moment of inertia is higher because their mass is distributed further from their axis of rotation. When they tuck their arms and legs in, their moment of inertia decreases, allowing them to spin faster.

4. How does angular speed affect a skater's spin?

The angular speed of a skater's spin is directly related to the time it takes for them to complete a rotation. A skater can increase their angular speed by pulling their arms and legs in, decreasing their moment of inertia, and allowing them to rotate faster.

5. What is the equation for calculating moment of inertia?

The equation for moment of inertia is I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the object's axis of rotation to its mass. This is for a point mass, but for more complex objects, the moment of inertia can be calculated by integrating the mass distribution over the object's volume or surface area.