Moment of inertia and Center of mass questions

In summary: Alternatively, you could use vertical sections, but in this case you would have to split the integral into two parts, one for the region above the line y=x and one for the region below it. As for your setup for the mass of the plate, it seems to be correct.In summary, the first question involves finding the moment of inertia about the x-axis of a thin plate of constant density 1 bounded by a circle. The correct setup for the double integral is || y^2 dy dx with the limits of integration being -2 < x < 2 and -sqrt(4-x^2) < y < sqrt(4-x^2). The second question involves finding the center of mass of a thin triangular plate bounded
DWill
Hi all, I need some help on a couple questions:

1) Find the moment of inertia about the x-axis of a thin plate of constant density 1 (density = 1) bounded by the circle x^2 + y^2 = 4. Then use your result to find Iy and Io for the plate.

Here's how I was thinking to set it up:

Since the region R is a circle, I thought it would be best to take the double integral with order dy dx. So the limits of integration for x would be -2 < x < 2, and for y would be -sqrt(4-x^2) < y < sqrt(4-x^2), right? Since density = 1, wouldn't the setup for the double integral be this (sorry I don't know how to do an integral sign, so a "|" is supposed to represent that):

|| y^2 dy dx, with the limits of integration I said above

I did it this way and eventually I get to the point where I have to take the integral of (sqrt(4-x^2))^3 with respect to x. I haven't figured out how to do this, so I was just wondering if I'm on the right track or not.

Next question:

2) Find the center of mass of a thin triangular plate bounded by the y-axis and the lines y= x and y = 2 - x if density function = 6x + 3y + 3.

Once again I just want to check if I have set up this problem correctly. The limits of integration should be: 0 < y < 1, and y < x < 2-y ? And the order of integration should be dx dy ? So to find mass M of the plate I did this:

|| (6x + 3y + 3) dx dy, with the limits of integration as above

For My it would simply be: || x(6x+3y+3) dy dx, right?

Btw: all the inequalities should be <= instead of just <

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
DWill said:
Hi all, I need some help on a couple questions:

1) Find the moment of inertia about the x-axis of a thin plate of constant density 1 (density = 1) bounded by the circle x^2 + y^2 = 4. Then use your result to find Iy and Io for the plate.

Here's how I was thinking to set it up:

Since the region R is a circle, I thought it would be best to take the double integral with order dy dx. So the limits of integration for x would be -2 < x < 2, and for y would be -sqrt(4-x^2) < y < sqrt(4-x^2), right? Since density = 1, wouldn't the setup for the double integral be this (sorry I don't know how to do an integral sign, so a "|" is supposed to represent that):

|| y^2 dy dx, with the limits of integration I said above

I did it this way and eventually I get to the point where I have to take the integral of (sqrt(4-x^2))^3 with respect to x. I haven't figured out how to do this, so I was just wondering if I'm on the right track or not.
We'll start with question one first. You are indeed on the right track and your working thus far is correct. However, it may be useful to note that since we are dealing with a circular lamina, the integral greatly simplifies with the use of cylindrical coordinates.

DWill said:
2) Find the center of mass of a thin triangular plate bounded by the y-axis and the lines y= x and y = 2 - x if density function = 6x + 3y + 3.

Once again I just want to check if I have set up this problem correctly. The limits of integration should be: 0 < y < 1, and y < x < 2-y ? And the order of integration should be dx dy ? So to find mass M of the plate I did this:

|| (6x + 3y + 3) dx dy, with the limits of integration as above

For My it would simply be: || x(6x+3y+3) dy dx, right?

Btw: all the inequalities should be <= instead of just <
Are you sure about your limits of integration? In this case it may be easier to set up the limits if you were to use horizontal sections (as you did above).

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It depends on both the mass and distribution of mass in an object.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each individual particle in an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then summing all of these values together.

3. What is center of mass?

The center of mass is the point at which all of an object's mass can be considered to be concentrated. It is the point around which an object will rotate when subjected to a torque.

4. How is center of mass determined?

The center of mass is determined by finding the weighted average of the positions of all of the individual particles in an object, with the weights being the masses of those particles.

5. How are moment of inertia and center of mass related?

The moment of inertia of an object is directly related to the distribution of mass around its center of mass. The further the mass is from the center of mass, the larger the moment of inertia will be.