Moment of inertia of rod with point mass and sphere using parallel axis theorem

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
*best&sweetest*
Messages
36
Reaction score
0
This should be simple but I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right or not...
I have a rod rotating about its edge #1. Rod's length is L and its mass is M. There is a point mass m on the rod, 3/4 L away from the edge #1, and on the other edge (#2) there is a sphere of radius R and mass m1. I need to find the moment of inertia of the whole system. I know that I need to use parallel axis theorem for the point mass, but what should I do with the sphere?
Is it I = (1/3) ML^2 + m (0.75L)^2 + m1*(L)^2 + (2/5)m1*R^2
or I = (1/3)ML^2 + m (0.75L)^2 + (2/5)m1*R^2?
I think it is the first option, but I'm not sure.
Thank you!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
*best&sweetest* said:
This should be simple but I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right or not...
I have a rod rotating about its edge #1. Rod's length is L and its mass is M. There is a point mass m on the rod, 3/4 L away from the edge #1, and on the other edge (#2) there is a sphere of radius R and mass m1. I need to find the moment of inertia of the whole system. I know that I need to use parallel axis theorem for the point mass, but what should I do with the sphere?
Is it I = (1/3) ML^2 + m (0.75L)^2 + m1*(L)^2 + (2/5)m1*R^2
or I = (1/3)ML^2 + m (0.75L)^2 + (2/5)m1*R^2?
I think it is the first option, but I'm not sure.
Thank you!
Option 1 loooks correct, but actually, you used the parallel axis theorem for the sphere, not the point mass, which is correct.