Moment of Inertia of a Changing System

In summary, the moment of inertia of the merry-go-round with respect to its central axis is 60.1094 kgm^2. However, the calculation was incorrect due to using the wrong value for the inertia of the person, which should be 85.255 kgm^2. Additionally, note that the unit for angular velocity used in the calculation, rpm, is not the SI unit and should be converted to rad/s for more accurate results.
jcd2012

Homework Statement

A person grabs on to an already spinning merry-go-round. The person is initially at rest and has a mass of 29.5 kg. They grab and cling to a bar that is 1.70 m from the center of the merry-go-round, causing the angular velocity of the merry-go-round to abruptly drop from 45.0 rpm to 19.0 rpm. What is the moment of inertia of the merry-go-round with respect to its central axis?

Homework Equations

Angular Momentum = I * ω

Momentum is conserved, so L(initial) = L(final), and so, I(initial) * ω(initial) = I(final) * ω(final)

Inertia = MR^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Inertia of the system changes when the person grabs on. So I(final) = I(merry) + I(person)

The inertia of the person is given by MR^2 = 29.5 kg * 1.7^2 = 85.255.

Using the conservation of momentum, here is what I put together:

L(final) = L(person, final) + L(mgr, final) = I(merry) * ω(final) + I(person) * ω(final)
L(final) = I(merry) * 19.0rpm + (82.255) * (19.0)

Solved for L to get L = 60.1094. If L is conserved then that should be the inertia of the merry-go-round. So I solved 60.1094 = I * 45.0rpm for I, which came out to be I = 1.33576. kgm^2. I am not sure where I could have gone wrong with this.

Physics news on Phys.org
jcd2012 said:
Using the conservation of momentum, here is what I put together:

L(final) = L(person, final) + L(mgr, final) = I(merry) * ω(final) + I(person) * ω(final)
L(final) = I(merry) * 19.0rpm + (82.255) * (19.0)

Solved for L to get L = 60.1094.

Hello, jcd2012. Can you show how you solved for L?

TSny said:
Hello, jcd2012. Can you show how you solved for L?

Forgot that . Here:

If L is conserved, then L(initial) = L(final), so L(final) = I(merry) * ω(initial).
So

I(merry) * ω(initial) = I(merry) * ω(final) + I(person) * ω(final). Solving for I(merry), shortened to I:

I * 45rpm = I * 19.0 + 82.255 * 19.0

45I = 19I + 1562.845
27I = 1562.845
I = 60.1094

That looks good.

TSny said:
That looks good.

It says it is not the right answer though. That is why I am confused.

Oh, it looks like you used 82.255 instead of 85.255 when doing the calculation.

Also, note that rpm is not the SI unit for angular velocity. However, in this case it's ok to use rpm since each term in the angular momentum conservation equation has a factor of ω and the conversion factor from rpm to rad/s will cancel out. But be careful in other problems where you might need to convert to rad/s.

1. What is moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion. It is the sum of the products of each particle's mass and its squared distance from the axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a changing system?

The moment of inertia for a changing system can be calculated by integrating the moment of inertia of each individual particle over the entire system.

3. What is the difference between moment of inertia and mass?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion, while mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion. A higher moment of inertia means an object is more difficult to rotate, while a higher mass means an object is more difficult to move in a straight line.

4. How does the distribution of mass affect the moment of inertia?

The distribution of mass has a significant impact on the moment of inertia of a system. Objects with more mass concentrated towards the axis of rotation will have a lower moment of inertia, while objects with more mass concentrated farther from the axis of rotation will have a higher moment of inertia.

5. What real-life applications involve understanding the moment of inertia of a changing system?

The moment of inertia of a changing system is important in understanding the rotational motion of objects such as spinning tops, gyroscope, and wheels. It is also crucial in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy, where rotational motion is a key component in the analysis and design of various systems and structures.