Moment of Inertia of a sphere about an axis

In summary, the moment of inertia of the Earth about the barycentre of the Earth-Sun system can be calculated using the formula 2/5MR^2 + Md^2, where M represents the mass of the Earth, R is the radius of Earth, and d is the distance from Earth to the barycentre. However, it is important to note that the Earth is not performing rigid body rotation around this axis due to its own rotation around its own axis. The angular momentum of the Earth about this axis can be calculated using the formula L_z = Md^2 * omega_ES + 2/5MR^2 * omega_E, where omega_ES is the angular velocity of the Earth around the barycentre and
phantomvommand
Homework Statement
Consider a sphere with an axis passing through its centre. I = 2/5 MR^2 when the sphere is rotated through this axis. Consider a new axis which is parallel to the original axis, but at a distance d away. What is the new I about this new axis?
Relevant Equations
Parallel axis theorem
I = 2/5M R^2 + Md^2

This is analagous to Earth's movement about the Sun. Is the moment of inertia of Earth about the centre of mass of the Earth Sun system = 2/5MR^2 + Md^2, where:

M = Mass of earth,
R = Radius of Earth,
d = distance from Earth to centre of mass of earth-sun system.

Physics news on Phys.org
It is the moment of inertia of the Earth about an axis passing through the barycentre of the Earth-Sun system, however you need to be careful how you use that information.

In particular, the Earth is rotating about its own axis at a different rate to that at which its centre of mass is rotating around the barycentre. In other words, the Earth is not performing rigid body rotation about an axis through the barycentre of the Earth-Sun system.

If you want the angular momentum of the Earth about that axis, for instance, it's going to be ##L_z = Md^2 \omega_{ES} + \frac{2}{5} MR^2 \omega_{E}##, where ##\omega_{ES} = 2\pi / (\text{1 year})## and ##\omega_E = 2\pi /(\text{1 day})##. To write that we note that the angular momentum of a rigid body about a certain axis equals the angular momentum of its centre of mass about that axis, plus the angular momentum of the body about the parallel axis through its centre of mass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes phantomvommand
etotheipi said:
It is the moment of inertia of the Earth about an axis passing through the barycentre of the Earth-Sun system, however you need to be careful how you use that information.

In particular, the Earth is rotating about its own axis at a different rate to that at which its centre of mass is rotating around the barycentre. In other words, the Earth is not performing rigid body rotation about an axis through the barycentre of the Earth-Sun system.

If you want the angular momentum of the Earth about that axis, for instance, it's going to be ##L_z = Md^2 \omega_{ES} + \frac{2}{5} MR^2 \omega_{E}##, where ##\omega_{ES} = 2\pi / (\text{1 year})## and ##\omega_E \approx 2\pi /(\text{1 day})##. To write that we note that the angular momentum of a rigid body about a certain axis equals the angular momentum of its centre of mass about that axis, plus the angular momentum of the body about the parallel axis through its centre of mass.
Thanks for the reply. I think you've mentioned an important detail that I am confused about. In ##L_z = Md^2 \omega_{ES} + \frac{2}{5} MR^2 \omega_{E}##, I get that 2/5MR^2 w(earth) is the angular momentum due to Earth's own 'spin'. As for the other term, shouldn't it be (2/5MR^2 + Md^2) w(earth-sun)?

phantomvommand said:
Thanks for the reply. I think you've mentioned an important detail that I am confused about. In ##L_z = Md^2 \omega_{ES} + \frac{2}{5} MR^2 \omega_{E}##, I get that 2/5MR^2 w(earth) is the angular momentum due to Earth's own 'spin'. As for the other term, shouldn't it be (2/5MR^2 + Md^2) w(earth-sun)?
Not quite, no. The original is correct, but why? I'll try to explain the general theory, because this sort of thing becomes a lot easier once you have the framework. Imagine you have a general system of ##N## particles with position vectors ##\mathbf{x}_{a}## with respect to some origin ##O##. The angular momentum of this system about ##O## is nothing but the sum of the angular momenta of each particle,\begin{align*}

\mathbf{L}_{O} = \sum_{a} \mathbf{l}_{O} &= \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a}{dt}
\end{align*}Let's now consider the centre of mass ##C##, at position vector ##\mathbf{X}##, of this system. By definition, if ##M := \sum_a m_a## is the total mass of all the particles, ##\mathbf{X}## satisfies$$M\mathbf{X} = \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a$$Furthermore, we can write the position vector of any particle as the sum of the position vector of the centre of mass, and the vector from the centre of mass to that particular particle which we'll denote by ##\mathbf{x}_a'##, i.e.$$\mathbf{x}_a = \mathbf{X} + \mathbf{x}_a'$$With these things in mind, let's return to our original expression,\begin{align*}

\mathbf{L}_{O} &= \sum_a m_a (\mathbf{X} + \mathbf{x}_a') \times \frac{d}{dt} \left( \mathbf{X} + \mathbf{x}_a' \right) \\

&= \sum_a m_a \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} \\

&= M \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \mathbf{X} \times \sum_a m_a \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} + \left( \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \right) \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt}

\end{align*}Now using the definition of the centre of mass we know that ##\sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' = 0##, and differentiating that we also know ##\sum_a m_a \frac{d \mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} = 0##. So the middle two terms vanish, and we're just left with\begin{align*}

\mathbf{L}_{O} &= M \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} \\

&:= \mathbf{L}_{\mathrm{CM}} + \mathbf{L}^*

\end{align*}Notice, then, that the angular momentum of a system of particles about any point is the sum of two terms: the angular momentum about the point ##O## of a hypothetical particle of mass ##M## situated at the centre of mass of the system, and the angular momentum of the system about the centre of mass ##C##.

That is the answer to your question in post #3. In your example, the system is nothing but the set of particles which make up the Earth. The first term in that expression is the angular momentum of a hypothetical particle of mass ##M_E## situated at the centre of mass of the Earth, which has moment of inertia ##M_E d^2## and not ##M_E d^2 + \frac{2}{5}M_E R^2## about the axis through the barycentre.

Let me know if that answers your question, or also if you want to know a bit more about the moment of inertia as a tensor and related stuff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes phantomvommand
etotheipi said:
Not quite, no. The original is correct, but why? I'll try to explain the general theory, because this sort of thing becomes a lot easier once you have the framework. Imagine you have a general system of ##N## particles with position vectors ##\mathbf{x}_{a}## with respect to some origin ##O##. The angular momentum of this system about ##O## is nothing but the sum of the angular momenta of each particle,\begin{align*}

\mathbf{L}_{O} = \sum_{a} \mathbf{l}_{O} &= \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a}{dt}
\end{align*}Let's now consider the centre of mass ##C##, at position vector ##\mathbf{X}##, of this system. By definition, if ##M := \sum_a m_a## is the total mass of all the particles, ##\mathbf{X}## satisfies$$M\mathbf{X} = \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a$$Furthermore, we can write the position vector of any particle as the sum of the position vector of the centre of mass, and the vector from the centre of mass to that particular particle which we'll denote by ##\mathbf{x}_a'##, i.e.$$\mathbf{x}_a = \mathbf{X} + \mathbf{x}_a'$$With these things in mind, let's return to our original expression,\begin{align*}

\mathbf{L}_{O} &= \sum_a m_a (\mathbf{X} + \mathbf{x}_a') \times \frac{d}{dt} \left( \mathbf{X} + \mathbf{x}_a' \right) \\

&= \sum_a m_a \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} \\

&= M \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \mathbf{X} \times \sum_a m_a \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} + \left( \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \right) \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt}

\end{align*}Now using the definition of the centre of mass we know that ##\sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' = 0##, and differentiating that we also know ##\sum_a m_a \frac{d \mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} = 0##. So the middle two terms vanish, and we're just left with\begin{align*}

\mathbf{L}_{O} &= M \mathbf{X} \times \frac{d\mathbf{X}}{dt} + \sum_a m_a \mathbf{x}_a' \times \frac{d\mathbf{x}_a'}{dt} \\

&:= \mathbf{L}_{\mathrm{CM}} + \mathbf{L}^*

\end{align*}Notice, then, that the angular momentum of a system of particles about any point is the sum of two terms: the angular momentum about the point ##O## of a hypothetical particle of mass ##M## situated at the centre of mass of the system, and the angular momentum of the system about the centre of mass ##C##.

That is the answer to your question in post #3. In your example, the system is nothing but the set of particles which make up the Earth. The first term in that expression is the angular momentum of a hypothetical particle of mass ##M_E## situated at the centre of mass of the Earth, which has moment of inertia ##M_E d^2## and not ##M_E d^2 + \frac{2}{5}M_E R^2## about the axis through the barycentre.

Let me know if that answers your question, or also if you want to know a bit more about the moment of inertia as a tensor and related stuff.
This has been very helpful, thanks so much!

Likes etotheipi

1. What is the definition of moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion about a specific axis. It is similar to mass in linear motion, but instead applies to rotational motion.

2. How is moment of inertia calculated for a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere about an axis passing through its center is given by the formula I = (2/5) * mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius of the sphere.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is affected by its mass and the distribution of that mass around the axis of rotation. The farther the mass is from the axis, the larger the moment of inertia will be.

4. How does the moment of inertia of a sphere compare to other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is relatively simple to calculate compared to other shapes, as it has a symmetrical and uniform distribution of mass. Other shapes may have more complex formulas for calculating moment of inertia.

5. Why is the concept of moment of inertia important?

Moment of inertia is an important concept in physics and engineering as it helps us understand how objects will behave when rotating about an axis. It is used in calculations for things like angular acceleration and torque, and is essential in designing structures and machines that involve rotational motion.