1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moment of Inertia of a thin uniform wire

1. Nov 11, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin uniform wire is bent into a rectangle. The short, vertical sides are of length a, and the long, horizontal sides are of length b. If the total mass is 31.00 grams, a = 25.00 cm and b = 44.30 cm, what is the moment of rotational inertia about an axis through one of the vertical wires?
    prob29new.gif

2. Relevant equations
    I = 1/3mL^2

3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried using the above equation, which is the moment of inertia for a solid rectangle. I knew it wasn't going to be right but I don't have an equation for a hollow rectangle. I tried modifying it by using 1/4 or 1/6 because I think the moment of inertia would be smaller for a hollow rectangle than a solid one.

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2009 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Think of the object as composed of four thin rods.

4. Nov 11, 2009 #3
    So the top and bottom would be I= 1/3 mL2 but it's only a portion of the mass, right? The right side would be I = mh2 and the h would be the length b. The only thing I can think of for the left side is the formula for a solid cylinder, but for that you need a radius.

5. Nov 11, 2009 #4

ideasrule

Homework Helper

Because the wires are assumed to be very thin, the left side has nearly no moment of inertia. You can assume I=0.

6. Nov 11, 2009 #5

Doc Al

Right.
    Right.
    Think of it as being very thin.

7. Nov 11, 2009 #6
    Yes, I got it! Thanks a lot. I'm home sick with the flu so this means a lot that someone would help me.

8. Nov 10, 2010 #7
    I'm having trouble with this problem, too. I don't understand how to get the masses of the individual parts of the rectangle.

9. Nov 10, 2010 #8

Doc Al

You have the total mass. Figure out the mass of each side, realizing that the mass is proportional to the length.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook