Finding the Moment of Inertia for a Rectangular Sheet

In summary, the moment of inertia for rotation around the z-axis at the midpoint of the horizontal side, coordinate (0,0), is equal to the mass times the square of the distance from the center of mass to the axis, plus the center of mass moment of inertia. For part a, the parallel axis theorem is used, while for part b, the moment of inertia is zero since the axis is at the center of mass. The contributions of mass elements further from the axis have a greater impact on the total moment of inertia. Integration over the object is necessary to determine the moment of inertia.
reslion

Homework Statement

The horizontal side (x-axis) is length 2A and the vertical side (y-axis at x=+-A) is length B. The mass is uniform throughout the sheet so that the center of mass is at the center of the rectangle. What is the moment of inertia for. the rotation around the z-axis at the midpoint of the horizontal side, coordinate (0,0) in terms of A,B and/or mass? The z-axis at the center of mass (hint: use parallel axis)?

Homework Equations

I=Icm+mr^2 where Icm is the center of mass moment and r is the distance to center of mass.

The Attempt at a Solution

For part a, the moment of inertia for a point mass is just I=mr^2, so since the center of mass is (B/2) away from the axis, then I=m*(B/2)^2. However, shouldn't we use parallel axis for part a and not part b, in contrary to the hint for part b?
For part b, the moment of inertia would just be zero? This is because lcm=0 as the axis is at the center of mass and r=0 as the point is also at the center of mass, so I=Icm+mr^2=0+m(0)=0.

Is this the correct way to get both or did I miss something?

Physics news on Phys.org
For moments of inertia the geometry of the object is important. Mass elements that are further from the axis of rotation have a greater impact on the total, and elements closer have less of an impact. Because the contributions vary as the square of the distance you can't just lump the mass at the center of gravity and use the point mass formula on it. You'll have to do the integration over the object.

Once you've established the MOI about one axis though, you can use the parallel axis theorem to "move it" to any parallel axis.

Likes reslion

1. What is the moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion around its center of mass. It is commonly denoted by the symbol I and has units of mass times length squared.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet can be calculated using the formula I = (1/12) * m * (h^2 + w^2), where m is the mass of the sheet, h is the height, and w is the width.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet?

The moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet is affected by its mass, shape, and distribution of mass. A larger mass and a greater distance of the mass from the center of mass will result in a larger moment of inertia.

4. Why is the moment of inertia important?

The moment of inertia is important because it helps us understand the rotational behavior of objects. It is used in various engineering and physics applications, such as in the design of structures and machines.

5. Can the moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet be negative?

No, the moment of inertia for a rectangular sheet cannot be negative. It is always a positive value since it represents the resistance to rotation, and rotational motion is always in a positive direction.