Moment of Inertia of ceiling fan

In summary, the moment of inertia of a rod about an end of the rod is 0.3215 kgm^2, while the moment of inertia of a rod about the rod's center is 1.4 kgm^2.
Colleen Walsh

Homework Statement

A ceiling fan consists of a small cylindrical disk with 5 thin rods coming from the center. The disk has mass md = 2.9 kg and radius R = 0.22 m. The rods each have mass mr = 1.4 kg and length L = 0.83 m.
1) What is the moment of inertia of each rod about the axis of rotation?

Homework Equations

I=(sum of)mr^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the above equation multiple different ways, with just the mass and length of the rods, with the mas of the rod and the disk and the length. With the length plus the radius. The homework I have won't accept a wrong answer but I just don't really understand what I am doing wrong could someone please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Colleen,
Welcome to Physics Forums!

Can you provide some detail for one of your attempts? What sort of calculation are you doing?

I did I=mr^2=1.4(0.83)^2=0.96446kgm^2 that was my first attempt and it didn't work however upon looking further into my notes I found the equation I=(1/3)mr^2=(1/3)(1.4)(0.83)^2=0.3215 and that did work, but I don't quite understand it.

Colleen Walsh said:
I did I=mr^2=1.4(0.83)^2=0.96446kgm^2 that was my first attempt and it didn't work however upon looking further into my notes I found the equation I=(1/3)mr^2=(1/3)(1.4)(0.83)^2=0.3215 and that did work, but I don't quite understand it.
I = mr2 is for a point mass m at radius r. A rod is not like that. If you treat it as a line of little point masses and consider their average value of r2 you get the 1/3 factor. Have you learned how to integrate xn?

Colleen Walsh said:
Okay, the moment of inertia depends upon how the mass is distributed with respect to the axis of rotation. The equation I=(1/3)mr^2 that you found refers to the moment of inertia of a rod about an end of the rod, rather than the rod's center.

Here the axis of rotation is located beyond the end of the rod (the rod is fixed to the perimeter of the disk, and the axis of rotation is at the center of the disk).

So you'll need to investigate the Parallel Axis Theorem to find out how to adjust the moment of inertia about the rod's center to an axis that is located elsewhere, or, you can go back to basics and set up the integral from the definition of moment of inertia to derive the correct expression. Either way will work.

Okay thank you both, I think I understand it now.

What is the moment of inertia of a ceiling fan?

The moment of inertia of a ceiling fan is a measure of its resistance to changes in rotational motion. It is calculated by taking into account the mass and distribution of the fan's blades.

How is the moment of inertia of a ceiling fan calculated?

The moment of inertia of a ceiling fan can be calculated using the formula I = mr², where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the fan's blades, and r is the distance from the center of rotation to the blades.

Why is the moment of inertia important for a ceiling fan?

The moment of inertia is important for a ceiling fan because it affects how quickly the fan can start and stop spinning, as well as how much energy is required to change its rotational speed.

How does the moment of inertia impact the performance of a ceiling fan?

A ceiling fan with a larger moment of inertia will have a slower acceleration and deceleration, but will maintain a more consistent speed. A fan with a smaller moment of inertia will have a faster acceleration and deceleration, but may be more prone to fluctuations in speed.

Can the moment of inertia of a ceiling fan be changed?

Yes, the moment of inertia of a ceiling fan can be changed by altering the mass or distribution of the fan's blades. For example, adding or removing weight from the blades or changing their shape can impact the moment of inertia.