Moment of Inertia of Half a Sphere

In summary, the conversation is about finding the moment of inertia using the parallel axis theorem. The attempt at a solution involves using the formula given for the moment of inertia of a hemisphere and solving for the inertia about the axis. However, the final answer does not match the expected answer. The conversation then delves into the definition of moment of inertia and its relation to a point mass and "m", which is a factor in the problem. The solution is still being worked on and further clarification is needed about the concept of moment of inertia.
theBEAST

Homework Statement

a4iUd.png

Homework Equations

I_a = I_G + md^2

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using the parallel axis theorem to find the moment of inertia about the axis.

In the formula sheet they give the moment of inertia of a hemisphere:
I_G = 0.259mr^2, where d, the distance from the center is equal to (3r/8).

Thus to find the inertia about the axis we will have to solve
I_a = 0.259mr^2 + m(3r/8)^2

This ends up giving me 2mr^2/5 which is not the answer... However I still think this is the correct answer. This is because I_a = mr^2/5 = 0.2mr^2 (which is the answer according to the prof) is less than the moment at the center I_G = 0.259mr^2. According to the parallel axis equation I_a = I_G + md^2, I_a must be larger than I_G not smaller...

Physics news on Phys.org
Go back to the definition of the moment of inertia. What is the moment of inertia of a point mass, at distance R from the rotation axis? What if you have two identical point masses at the opposite ends of a diameter?

Your problem is connected to "m". What is it?

ehild

Last edited:

1. What is the moment of inertia of half a sphere?

The moment of inertia of half a sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion around its central axis. It is determined by the distribution of mass within the half sphere.

2. How is the moment of inertia of half a sphere calculated?

The moment of inertia of half a sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)MR², where M is the mass of the half sphere and R is the radius of the sphere.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kg•m² or kg•cm². This unit is derived from the units of mass (kg) and distance (m or cm) used in the formula.

4. How does the moment of inertia of half a sphere compare to that of a full sphere?

The moment of inertia of half a sphere is half of the moment of inertia of a full sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because half of the mass is located further away from the central axis in a full sphere, resulting in a larger moment of inertia.

5. What factors can affect the moment of inertia of half a sphere?

The moment of inertia of half a sphere can be affected by the mass and radius of the half sphere, as well as the distribution of mass within the sphere. The moment of inertia will also be different for different axes of rotation.