Moment of Inertia - Swinging arms

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
elemis
Messages
162
Reaction score
1
momi_12.jpe


My workings are below :

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1366692390.758620.jpg


Following the calculation of w I use v=wr where r= 3 and calculate the tangential velocity.

It's then easy to see that a speed of 340 (Mach 1) will be attained in 128 s

Is this correct ?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
In your handwritten working, you've written omega instead of omega-dot, but otherwise it all looks correct.
 
haruspex said:
In your handwritten working, you've written omega instead of omega-dot, but otherwise it all looks correct.

I don't understand you. Torque = Iw , correct ?
 
elemis said:
I don't understand you. Torque = Iw , correct ?

No, it is

τ = Iα

where α is the angular acceleration
 
Last edited:
hms.tech said:
No, it is

τ = Iα

where α is the angular acceleration
... and although the OP says "I use v=wr ", what has actually been used is a = αr.