Moment of Inertia - Swinging arms

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of tangential velocity using the equation v=wr, where r=3. It was mentioned that a speed of 340 (Mach 1) can be attained in 128 seconds. There was also a correction made regarding the use of omega instead of omega-dot in the handwritten working. The discussion also clarified that torque equals Iw, and that the correct equation is τ = Iα where α is the angular acceleration. Additionally, it was noted that the equation used was actually a = αr.
elemis
momi_12.jpe

My workings are below :

ImageUploadedByPhysics Forums1366692390.758620.jpg

Following the calculation of w I use v=wr where r= 3 and calculate the tangential velocity.

It's then easy to see that a speed of 340 (Mach 1) will be attained in 128 s

Is this correct ?

Physics news on Phys.org
In your handwritten working, you've written omega instead of omega-dot, but otherwise it all looks correct.

haruspex said:
In your handwritten working, you've written omega instead of omega-dot, but otherwise it all looks correct.

I don't understand you. Torque = Iw , correct ?

elemis said:
I don't understand you. Torque = Iw , correct ?

No, it is

τ = Iα

where α is the angular acceleration

Last edited:
hms.tech said:
No, it is

τ = Iα

where α is the angular acceleration
... and although the OP says "I use v=wr ", what has actually been used is a = αr.

1. What is moment of inertia?

Moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotation. It is dependent on the mass, shape, and distribution of mass of an object.

2. How does swinging arms affect moment of inertia?

Swinging arms changes the distribution of mass in the body, which in turn affects the moment of inertia. When the arms are extended, the moment of inertia increases, making it more difficult to rotate the body.

3. What is the role of moment of inertia in sports?

In sports, moment of inertia is important because it affects an athlete's performance. A lower moment of inertia allows for quicker and more efficient movements, while a higher moment of inertia can slow down an athlete's performance.

4. How is moment of inertia calculated?

Moment of inertia is calculated by multiplying the mass of each particle in an object by the square of its distance from the axis of rotation, and then adding all of these values together.

5. How can moment of inertia be manipulated?

Moment of inertia can be manipulated by changing the shape and distribution of mass in an object. For example, by extending or pulling in the arms, an athlete can increase or decrease their moment of inertia, respectively.