Momentum/Collision Special Relativity Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the measurement of energies, velocities, and rest mass in different units. Two particles collide in two different reference frames and the problem asks for the final momenta and total energy in both frames. The discussion also mentions the use of momentum and energy methods, as well as the Lorentz Transformation equations, to solve the problem. The expert suggests using the Lorentz transform of four-momenta as the best approach and suggests searching for information on four-momenta for further guidance.
BetaDecay57

Homework Statement

"In this problem, please measure energies in MeV (mega-electron volts), velocities in
units of the speed of light c and rest mass in units of MeV/c^2. Consider a collision
between two particles, each of rest mass m = 0.5MeV/c^2. In this problem I ask
you to compare two reference frames: the center of mass reference frame and the
’lab’ reference frame in which one of the two particles is not moving. Suppose that
in the center of mass reference frame the two particles are initially moving along x
with velocities v = ±0.8c. In the lab frame one particle has velocity v = 0 and the
other particle has a velocity which is directed along negative x.
(a) Suppose that the collision is elastic, and that after the collision the two
particles emerge moving along the ±y direction in the center of mass frame.
(i) Give the final momenta of the two particles, in the center of mass reference
frame
(ii) Give the final momenta of the two particles, in the lab frame.
(b) Suppose now that what collides are a particle and its antiparticle, so that
the two colliding particles annihilate and produce two photons (which have zero
rest mass and velocity c).
(i) Give the total energy of the two photons, in the center of mass frame.
(ii) Give the total energy of the two photons, in the lab frame.

I am concerned right now with part (a) part (ii), but I will give my solution to part i as reference.

Homework Equations

In the following equations, c is the speed of light in vacuum (I do not mean to be condescending, this addendum is just for clarification purposes)

momentum: p = γmv
addition of velocity: v = (v1+v2)/(1+v1v2/c^2)
energy based on momentum:E=√(pc)^2+m^2c^4)
Lorentz Transformation equations given in Textbook: t'=γ(x-vt) and x'=γ(t-vx/c^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

part i) Energy must be conserved, so by the above equaiton p°=±p and v°=±v, just in the y-direction. Thus p=±(.5)(.8c)/(1-.8^2)j=(±2/3 MeV/c)j
part ii) I tried using momentum and energy methods, but get different answers depending upon the method.

Energy methods:
velocity of particle in lab reference frame = v1+v2/(1+v1v2/c^2)=(0.8c+0.8c)/(1+(0.8c*0.8c)/c^2)=0.9756c
E°=Emoving particle + Estationary particle=√(p1c)^2+m^2c^4)+mc^2=√([(0.5 MeV/c^2)(0.97560c)/(1-0.9756^2)]^2*c^2+(0.5 MeV/c^2)^2*c^4)+(0.5 Mev/c^2)c^2=10.63
Since particles have same speed in one reference frame, the Lorentz transformation demands that they have the same speed in the second.
Therefore, E=√(p1c)^2+m^2c^4)+√(p2c)^2+m^2c^4)=2 sqrt((0.5/c^2 v c/(1-v^2))^2 c^2+0.5^2)
Setting the two equal and solving with Wolfram Alpha, we get v~=±1.04836 and v~=±95389. We reject the former answer since a particle cannot travel faster than the speed of light.

Momentum convservation methods:
velocity of particle in motion: v = .8c*2/(1+.8^2)=0.9756c
p°=p
γv°=2γv
0.9756c/(1-0.9756^2) = (2 x)c/(1-x^2)
Using Wolfram Alpha we get x~=0.95181c and x~=-1.05063c. We reject the latter answer and take into account the y-velocity by adding the two using the above equation:
v=(0.95181+.8c)/(1+.8*.95181)=0.9945c

[Remark/Question; However, since the motion is in y-direction wouldn't we need to transform the velocity in the y-direction before adding the velocities above. I am currently leaning towards the energy methods as the correct approach.]

Thus we get different velocities depending upon the method, which should not be the case. I'm relatively certain that the y-velocity is unaffected (see note above) because the center of mass is moving .8c in the -x direction the entire time and thus should not be affected by a reference fram shift.

Furthermore, I would greatly appreciate a mathematical description of how to use the Lorentz Transformation in this context, which I understand conceptually but do not have a concrete mathematical understanding.

Thank you in advance for any help/advice/guidance that you may provide!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Your working is difficult to work through, since you have put in the actual numbers and written 'speed of light squared' in several places, so I haven't checked through it.

You should just use Lorentz transform of the four-momenta of the two particles. It is very simple using this method. And you are right that the y-momentum is not changed by the transform.

Have you been taught how to do Lorentz transform of four-momenta? This is the only method I know of to be able to do this problem. Maybe try google four-momenta. Its very similar to the Lorentz transform of time and space coordinates.

1. What is momentum in the context of special relativity?

Momentum in the context of special relativity is a physical quantity that describes the motion of an object in terms of its mass and velocity. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. In special relativity, momentum is also affected by the object's energy and the speed of light.

2. How is momentum conserved in collisions in special relativity?

According to the principle of conservation of momentum, the total momentum of a system remains constant in the absence of external forces. In special relativity, this principle still holds true, but the equations for calculating momentum and energy in collisions are different due to the effects of time dilation and length contraction. These effects must be taken into account in order to accurately conserve momentum in special relativity.

3. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions in special relativity?

In an elastic collision, both momentum and kinetic energy are conserved, meaning the total energy before and after the collision remains the same. In contrast, in an inelastic collision, kinetic energy is not conserved and is instead converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or sound. In special relativity, the equations for calculating elastic and inelastic collisions are modified to account for the effects of time dilation and length contraction.

4. How does the relativistic mass-energy equivalence affect momentum in special relativity?

In special relativity, the famous equation E=mc² describes the relationship between an object's mass and its energy. This means that as an object's speed approaches the speed of light, its mass and energy also increase. This increase in mass affects the object's momentum, making it more difficult to accelerate. This effect must be taken into account in special relativity calculations involving momentum.

5. What are some real-life applications of special relativity and momentum?

Special relativity and momentum have many practical applications in modern technology, such as in the design of particle accelerators and nuclear reactors. They also play a crucial role in the fields of astrophysics and cosmology, helping us understand the behavior of objects traveling at high speeds, such as stars and galaxies. Additionally, the principles of special relativity and momentum are used in the development of advanced technologies, such as GPS systems and satellite communications.