1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum conservation to kinetic energy

1. Aug 28, 2014 #1
    I am trying to follow this solution but I cant see how the momentum

p is equivalent to the sqrt(T^2+2Tmc^2)

I get that T=p^2/2m which yields p=sqrt(2mT) but why is there a T^2 term...??

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 28, 2014 #2

DEvens

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm going to need a bit more context.

4. Aug 28, 2014 #3

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

##T = \frac{p^2}{2m} = \frac 12 mv^2## is the non-relativistic expression for kinetic energy. You want to start with the relativistic expression.

5. Aug 28, 2014 #4
    I see that yields p= sqrt(2mT) but the solution is saying that p= sqrt(T^2+2Tmc^2)

where is this coming from??

6. Aug 28, 2014 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

As vela said, you are using the classical expression for kinetic energy and so you are missing terms which become relevant when the kinetic energy is comparable to or larger than the rest energy (i.e., mass). The relativistic relation is
    $$
    E^2 = p^2 c^2 + m^2 c^4.
    $$
    In addition, the definition of kinetic energy is the total energy ##E## minus the rest energy ##mc^2##, i.e.
    $$
    T = E-mc^2 \quad \Rightarrow \quad E = T + mc^2.
    $$
    You should be able to take it from there.

7. Aug 28, 2014 #6
    That makes sense but I don't see how the total energy as stated in the solution is

the square root of kinetic energy squared plus two times the kinetic times potential...??

Forgive me, I've been doing too much physics today and perhaps it's obvious but I'm not getting this one.

Attached Files:

8. Aug 28, 2014 #7

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Perhaps you should take a break and come back to this problem tomorrow when you're refreshed. The derivation is literally a line or two of algebra starting with what Orodruin gave you.

If you still can't get it, you need to post your work so we can see what you're doing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted