1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum: I have the answer, now an explanation?

1. Feb 17, 2009 #1

TG3

So, I know the "correct" answer to this problem, but it makes no sense to me at all. Why is the following the case?

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A railroad hopper car has mass 40,000 kg when empty and contains 50,000 kg of coal. As it coasts along the track at 4 m/s the hopper opens and steadily releases all the coal onto a platform below the rails over a period of 4 s.

How fast does the car travel after all the coal is dumped?

2. Relevant equations

Momentum = Mass x Velocity

3. The attempt at a solution
    40,000+ 50,000 = 90,000
    90,000 x 4 = 360,000

360,000 / 40,000 = 9 m/s.
    This seems simple and obvious, yet the computer insists that the correct answer is 4 m/s. Why would this ever be....?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2009 #2

Delphi51

Homework Helper

No friction or other force in the horizontal direction has been mentioned, so the car will continue in motion at its constant speed of 4 m/s. F = ma, F is zero so "a" is zero.

4. Feb 17, 2009 #3

LowlyPion

Homework Helper

Why do you think it is the right answer?

Are you saying that as soon as each lump of coal was dropped from the car it left its momentum in the car?

5. Feb 17, 2009 #4

TG3

!
    I obviously wasn't considering that the coal continues moving as it is dropped, and doesn't leave it's momentum behind, which is the premise I was operating under. Many thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook