1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum must be conserved, so this is true, right?

1. Apr 14, 2008 #1
    True or False:
    In a collision between a light hydrogen molecule and a heavy water molecule, the momentum lost by one molecule is exactly the same as the momentum gained by the other molecule.

Momentum must be conserved, so this is true, right???

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 14, 2008 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

In physics, momentum is always conserved. You just have to think about two things. A) Is the system being considered closed? and B) What happens as a result of momentum conservation.

4. Apr 14, 2008 #3
    It seems to be a closed system to me

so isnt the momentum conserved making this true

so i can make sure I have this concept:
    as a stone slides down a frictionless hill its mechanical energy is conserved but its momentum is not. true or false

well since we are not given any info on the velocity at the beginning or end and since the velocity is constantly changing we cannot make any assumptions about momentum thus this statement is true.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  5. Apr 14, 2008 #4

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Well we know velocity is increasing, and p=mv, so momentum is increasing. Like I said, momentum is always conserved, so an equal amount has to come from somewhere else.

6. Apr 14, 2008 #5
    so the first one is true and the second one is false?????

7. Apr 14, 2008 #6

D H

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Momentum is not always conserved. Momentum is conserved in a closed system, but not in an open system (i.e., one with external forces acting on it).

8. Apr 14, 2008 #7

alphysicist

Homework Helper

Hi StephenDoty,

Both of your true/false statements are true. As the stone slides down the hill, its momentum increases, so its momentum is not conserved.

Deciding on whether momentum is conserved or not depends critically on what your system is. If there are no forces on the system from outside the system, then momentum is conserved. If there is a net force acting on the system from the outside, then the momentum will change with time.

So for the stone going down the hill, the wording of the question means that we want to consider the stone by itself as the system. There is a net outside force (the force from the earth), so momentum is not conserved for the stone.

Momentum is conserved if we had chosen (stone+earth) as a system. The change in the stone's momentum is equal in magnitude and opposite in direction to the change in the earth's momentum. (The earth pulls on the stone and the stone pulls on the earth, in addition to the action/reaction normal forces between stone and hill.) The momentum of (stone+earth) is conserved as the stone slides down the hill.

9. Apr 14, 2008 #8
    good i have the concept then

thank you

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?