Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum of electromagnetic field

1. Jul 29, 2013 #1
    Hello, I am trying to prove that the momentum of an electromagnetic field is [tex]E \times B[/tex] by considering the conserved quantity due to the spatial translation of the Lagrangian.

[tex]L = - \frac{1}{4}\int {{F^{\mu v}}{F_{\mu v}}} {d^3}x[/tex]

So far, I have calculated the canonical momentum.

[tex]{\Pi _{{A_\mu }}} = \frac{{\partial {A_\mu }}}{{\partial t}} = \left( {\begin{array}{*{20}{c}}
    0\\
    {{E_x}}\\
    {{E_y}}\\
    {{E_z}}
    \end{array}} \right)[/tex]

I know that the conserved quantity is

[tex]Q = \int {{\Pi _{{A_\mu }}}} \delta {A_\mu }{d^3}x[/tex]

But I am not sure how [tex]\delta {A_\mu }[/tex] is going to give me components of the curl.
    Thank you very much.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2013 #2

samalkhaiat

Science Advisor

The 3-momentum of the field is given by
    [tex]P^{ j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \ T^{ 0 j } ,[/tex]
    where
    [tex]T^{ \mu \nu } = \frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } A_{ \sigma } ) } \partial^{ \nu } A_{ \sigma } - \eta^{ \mu \nu } \mathcal{ L } .[/tex]
    If you use the relation
    [tex]\frac{ \partial \mathcal{ L } }{ \partial ( \partial_{ \mu } A_{ \sigma } ) } = 4 F^{ \mu \sigma } ,[/tex]
    you find
    [tex]P^{ j } = - \int d^{ 3 }x \ \eta_{ \mu \sigma }\ F^{ 0 \sigma }\ \partial^{ j } A^{ \mu } .[/tex]
    Now, add and subtract [itex]\partial^{ \mu } A^{ j }[/itex], integrate by parts, neglect surface term, and use the equation of motion [itex]\partial_{ \sigma } F^{ 0 \sigma } = 0[/itex]. You will find
    [tex]P^{ j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \ \eta_{ \mu \nu } F^{ 0 \mu } F^{ \nu j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \ \eta_{ i k } F^{ 0 i } F^{ k j } = \int d^{ 3 }x \left( \vec{ E } \times \vec{ H } \right)^{ j } .[/tex]

Sam

4. Jul 30, 2013 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's important to know the difference between momentum and volumic momentum density. E × H is the momentum density of the free field.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook