Momentum of projectile, i think

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 8K views
mdmode
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Question with data:

This is a question from an OWL program with my General Physics class. We are currently covering momentum, and this one throws me a curve.

A sled with rider having a combined mass of 125 kg travels over the perfectly smooth icy hill shown in the accompanying figure. (See Attachment)

How far (in m) does the sled land from the foot of the cliff?


Formulas:

Unknown...confused on how to approach problem.

Not exactly sure of how to go about this one, any suggestions?
 
Attachments
  • 1027475.jpg
    1027475.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 814
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Please post in the proper format, because it makes it easier to answer questions. Also, a diagram would really help me understand this question if you can post one.
 
Sorry about the jumbled mess. I'm a noob here, and didn't keep the formatting in the original post. I'll know better next time. I have added the diagram from the problem now, and reworded the question, so maybe it is easier to understand now.
Thanks.
 
Well, since there is no friction - no dissipative forces, you can use energy conservation to get the velocity at the top of the cliff. After that, it's a simple kinematic problem involving some object flying off a cliff horizontally.
 
Thanks, matterwave, that makes it a lot simpler for me! I appreciate your help.
Peace and Grace to you!
 
I have used the law of energy conservation:
1/2mv_0^2=1/2mv^2+mgh, but then all mass crosses out. is this okay to solve the problem without using given mass?