1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Momentum problem: object struck with stick

1. Oct 15, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A stationary 1.67 kg object is struck by a stick. The object experiencees a horizontal force given by F = at - bt^3, where t is the time in milliseconds from the instant the stick first contacts the object. if a = 1500 N/ms and b = 20 N / ms^3, what is the speed of the object just after it comes away from the stick (t = 2.74 ms)?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I integrated to come up with the impulse J_x. Then I added it to p_0 = 0. The integral solved at the limits of 0 to 0.00274 = 0.005631. I divided this by the mass 1.67 to get the velocity. This gave v = 0.003372 which is not right...

What did I do wrong?

Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2013 #2

CWatters

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I'm rusty but shouldn't you divide by the mass before integrating or doesn't that make a difference?

Newton says

Force = mass * acceleration
    so
    acceleration = force / mass

Then integrate to give velocity.

4. Oct 15, 2013 #3
    I'm integrating to get an impulse, then using it to get velocity from the momentum equation. The problem is about momentum.

5. Oct 15, 2013 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Units. I suspect that you converted to seconds, when the equation was meant to be in ms.

6. Oct 15, 2013 #5
    I integrated with limits of 0 to 0.00274, so it's in seconds. So that result should be J_x, and dividing out mass should give velocity. I don't see where I could have messed up units, offhand.

7. Oct 15, 2013 #6

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Yes, but the t in the equation is in ms. Look at the units of the parameters a & b.

For you to use seconds you must first convert the equation to use seconds. (Or just stick to ms.)

8. Oct 15, 2013 #7
    Thank you.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted