Mono-jet searches for simplified models

• A
  • Thread starter Luca_Mantani
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Models
In summary, Luca is trying to figure out why the top loops in the diagrams on page 22 of the paper he linked don't happen in the t-channel model. He is also asking about Minimal Flavour Violation, which is a theoretical principle used to set the coupling constants for each generation of quarks equal.
Luca_Mantani
Hi,
i am studying Simplified Models for the search of Dark Matter at colliders. In particular there are 2 different kind of models that i am studying that are s-channel and t-channel models. Now, there is something that i don't understand related to the mono-jet process.
Here is a paper that shows some of these models: https://arxiv.org/pdf/1603.08002v2.pdf
s-channel models are models in which the new mediator is exchanged in the s-channel when dealing with Dark Matter annihilation, while in t-channel models is exchanged in the t-channel during this process.

Since we are not able to detect DM, we have to look at processes that involves jets in the output.
If you look at page 22 of the paper i linked, there are some diagrams of these kind of processes for the s-channel. All of them involve loops and i don't understand why. Why a process like the ones for the t-channel in page 28 cannot happen? I read that there are difference in the two models in mono-jet production, but i don't understand why there cannot be tree-level scattering in the s-channel one.

Thank you for the help,
Luca

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know about those specific models, but often the coupling of dark matter to top quarks is stronger - so strong that those loops are more important than tree-level processes involving light quarks. The tree-level top quark process is shown on page 22, but it needs a higher parton energy. Unless the dark matter particle behaves really weird, the same process for light quarks is possible.

mfb said:
I don't know about those specific models, but often the coupling of dark matter to top quarks is stronger - so strong that those loops are more important than tree-level processes involving light quarks. The tree-level top quark process is shown on page 22, but it needs a higher parton energy. Unless the dark matter particle behaves really weird, the same process for light quarks is possible.
Why isn't that valid even for the t-channel models? So, you are saying that maybe s-channel models are strongly coupled to the top, while the t-channel are not, so we have a substantial difference in phenomenology between the 2 models?

Where would you add top loops in figure 5? The interaction there is always quark with two new particles. On page 22 SM particles produce a single new particle.

mfb said:
Where would you add top loops in figure 5? The interaction there is always quark with two new particles. On page 22 SM particles produce a single new particle.
No, sure.
Maybe now i got it, we can't use top quarks in the initial state because their parton distribution is too low in the proton and the process would be negligible. So in the first model we got that the interaction is proportional to yukawa couplings, while in the second one not. As a consequence in the first one the diagrams with top loops are very important with respect to the tree level with light quarks. On the other hand, the other can only interact with light quarks. Is that right?

Do you know something about Minimal Flavour Violation? Because they use this principle to set the coupling costants proportional to yukawa couplings in the first model, while in the second one they use the same principle, but this time they set all the coupling constants for each generation of quarks equal. I don't understand why is that.

I'm from the experimental side, we have theorists here who know that better.

1. What are simplified models in the context of Mono-jet searches?

Simplified models are theoretical models used to study the behavior of particles in high-energy physics experiments. They are simplified versions of more complex theoretical models and are often used to test specific scenarios or hypotheses.

2. Why are Mono-jet searches important in particle physics research?

Mono-jet searches are important because they can provide evidence for new particles or interactions that are not predicted by the Standard Model of particle physics. They can also help to validate or rule out certain theoretical models.

3. How do scientists perform Mono-jet searches for simplified models?

Scientists perform Mono-jet searches by analyzing data from high-energy particle collisions. They look for events where a single jet of particles is produced and then search for any additional missing or "invisible" particles that may have been produced along with the jet.

4. What is the significance of finding evidence for a simplified model in Mono-jet searches?

Finding evidence for a simplified model in Mono-jet searches can provide valuable insights into the fundamental building blocks of the universe and potentially lead to new discoveries in particle physics. It can also help to guide future research and experiments.

5. What are some challenges faced in Mono-jet searches for simplified models?

One of the main challenges in Mono-jet searches is dealing with background noise from other particle interactions that can mimic the signature of the desired signal. This requires careful analysis and statistical methods to distinguish the signal from the background. Another challenge is the limited energy and intensity of particle colliders, which can make it difficult to produce and detect certain particles predicted by simplified models.