Monoshaccarides and Phospholipids

• Thread starter thovlax13
  • Start date
In summary, the person is a junior in high school taking AP Biology and is seeking help with remembering the names of phospholipids and monosaccharides. They also ask for resources to better understand the chapters on carbohydrates, lipids, and steroids. They mention a website, science-student.com, which is still being updated with college-level biology material. They also suggest using test help books like Princeton Review for concise chapters and review questions.
thovlax13
Hey guys i just joined here and I am going to need a lotta help this year. I am taking Ap Bio which is a college course and I am just a junior in high school.

i was just wondering if there is an easy way to remember all the names for phospolipids and monoshaccrides

also does anyone have something that will help me understand the chapters with Carbohydrates, Lipids, Steriods, and etc... that would rele help me do good on a test i have thursday

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
What phospholipids and monosaccharides do you need to know? I assure you that you do not need to remember the names of all of them.

This is probably not what you were looking for, but would your book be a good resource for understanding the material? Or you could get any of the AP Bio test help books (like Princeton Review or whoever makes them) -- I've always liked those more concise chapters with good summaries and good review questions. Good not just for the AP test, but also for tests in your class.

http://science-student.com/

you'll be finding biology material for college level on this site. the biology part is still under construction. but it's getting filled weekly.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What are monosaccharides and phospholipids?

Monosaccharides are simple sugars that cannot be broken down into smaller sugars. They are the building blocks of carbohydrates. Phospholipids are a type of lipid that make up the cell membrane and are composed of a phosphate group, two fatty acid tails, and a glycerol molecule.

2. What is the difference between monosaccharides and phospholipids?

The main difference between monosaccharides and phospholipids is their structure and function. Monosaccharides are small, simple sugars that are used for energy in the body, while phospholipids are larger molecules that make up the cell membrane and are involved in cell signaling and maintaining cell structure.

3. What are the functions of monosaccharides and phospholipids in the body?

Monosaccharides are the main source of energy for the body and are also involved in cell communication and signaling. Phospholipids are essential for the structure and function of cell membranes, as well as being involved in cell signaling and maintaining homeostasis.

4. What food sources contain monosaccharides and phospholipids?

Monosaccharides can be found in fruits, vegetables, and honey, while phospholipids can be found in high-fat foods such as eggs, dairy products, and meat. They can also be found in plant-based sources such as soybeans and sunflower seeds.

5. How are monosaccharides and phospholipids used in the food industry?

Monosaccharides are used as sweeteners in many processed foods, while phospholipids are used as emulsifiers in food production to mix water and oil-based ingredients. They are also used as preservatives and to improve the texture of food products.