Montana State University for Physics?

In summary, the department seems to have a good program, but they may be struggling to maintain a large number of physics majors due to the small number of faculty.
lievbirman
Hello,

I am looking into transferring to Montana State University for physics (undergrad from a 2-year college), they have really good solar physics research going on and the town (Bozeman) is beautiful and inspiring. My only concern is that the classes may be shaky considering that there are only about 8-9 teaching faculty.

If anyone has gone there for physics or knows anyone that has I would greatly appreciate your opinions on the quality of the department and their undergraduate program.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
lievbirman said:
Hello,

I am looking into transferring to Montana State University for physics (undergrad from a 2-year college), they have really good solar physics research going on and the town (Bozeman) is beautiful and inspiring. My only concern is that the classes may be shaky considering that there are only about 8-9 teaching faculty.

If anyone has gone there for physics or knows anyone that has I would greatly appreciate your opinions on the quality of the department and their undergraduate program.

Thank you in advance.
The seem to have a reasonably good program -
MSU said:
Our research groups span a variety of fields within physics. Our principal concentrations are in Astrophysics, Relativity, Gravitation and Cosmology, Condensed Matter Physics, Lasers and Optics, Physics Education, Solar Physics, and the Space Science and Engineering Lab.

. . .
and they offer BS, MS and PhD programs.

One could review the faculty pages and ostensibly their publications.

Astronuc said:
The seem to have a reasonably good program - and they offer BS, MS and PhD programs.

One could review the faculty pages and ostensibly their publications.

Yes, I am aware of their strength in research, I'm more worried about whether they have a decent amount of physics majors such that all of the necessary classes are readily available.

If you can't find information about the number of physics majors per graduating class somewhere on their web site, you might try e-mailing someone in the department and asking directly.

The American Institute of Physics (aip.org) surveys departments every year about enrollments and numbers of graduates, but I don't remember if they publish the statistics on a per-school basis or only as nationwide totals.

lievbirman said:
Yes, I am aware of their strength in research, I'm more worried about whether they have a decent amount of physics majors such that all of the necessary classes are readily available.
That would be a question best directed to the department and registrar. One could ask if classes, particularly upper division classes are cancelled.

Or one can research BS/BA degrees awarded, particuarly recently.
http://www.pa.msu.edu/alumni/bs/menubs.html (BS)
http://www.pa.msu.edu/alumni/ba/menuba.html (BA)

Then one must ask, how many students are required to make an upper level course.

jtbell said:
If you can't find information about the number of physics majors per graduating class somewhere on their web site, you might try e-mailing someone in the department and asking directly.

The American Institute of Physics (aip.org) surveys departments every year about enrollments and numbers of graduates, but I don't remember if they publish the statistics on a per-school basis or only as nationwide totals.

Awesome thank you!

Yes it looks like they do in fact publish all of the data, which includes physics course enrollments, jrs, srs, grad students enrolled, as well as number graduating that year.

Much obliged!

1. What is the mission of Montana State University's Physics department?

The mission of Montana State University's Physics department is to provide a quality education in physics and related fields, to conduct cutting-edge research, and to engage in outreach activities that benefit the local and global communities.

2. What programs and degrees are offered in the Physics department at Montana State University?

The Physics department at Montana State University offers undergraduate degrees in physics, engineering physics, and applied physics, as well as graduate degrees in physics and engineering physics. They also offer a minor in physics for students majoring in other fields.

3. What research areas are focused on by the Physics faculty at Montana State University?

The research areas of the Physics faculty at Montana State University cover a wide range of topics, including astrophysics, condensed matter physics, high energy physics, biophysics, and materials science. They also collaborate with other departments and institutions on interdisciplinary research projects.

4. Are there opportunities for undergraduate students to participate in research at Montana State University's Physics department?

Yes, undergraduate students at Montana State University can participate in research projects through various programs, such as the Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program (UROP) and the Research Experience for Undergraduates (REU). These programs allow students to work closely with faculty members on research projects and gain valuable hands-on experience.

5. Can you tell me more about the facilities and resources available for students in the Physics department at Montana State University?

The Physics department at Montana State University has state-of-the-art facilities and resources for teaching and research, including modern laboratories, computing facilities, and specialized equipment. They also have access to national labs, such as the National Superconducting Cyclotron Laboratory and the National High Magnetic Field Laboratory, for their research projects.