1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Montana State University for Physics?

1. Jan 31, 2014 #1
    Hello,

I am looking into transferring to Montana State University for physics (undergrad from a 2-year college), they have really good solar physics research going on and the town (Bozeman) is beautiful and inspiring. My only concern is that the classes may be shaky considering that there are only about 8-9 teaching faculty.

If anyone has gone there for physics or knows anyone that has I would greatly appreciate your opinions on the quality of the department and their undergraduate program.

Thank you in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 1, 2014 #2

Astronuc

Staff: Mentor

The seem to have a reasonably good program -
    and they offer BS, MS and PhD programs.

One could review the faculty pages and ostensibly their publications.

4. Feb 1, 2014 #3
    Yes, I am aware of their strength in research, I'm more worried about whether they have a decent amount of physics majors such that all of the necessary classes are readily available.

5. Feb 1, 2014 #4

jtbell

If you can't find information about the number of physics majors per graduating class somewhere on their web site, you might try e-mailing someone in the department and asking directly.

The American Institute of Physics (aip.org) surveys departments every year about enrollments and numbers of graduates, but I don't remember if they publish the statistics on a per-school basis or only as nationwide totals.

6. Feb 1, 2014 #5

Astronuc

That would be a question best directed to the department and registrar. One could ask if classes, particularly upper division classes are cancelled.

Or one can research BS/BA degrees awarded, particuarly recently.
    http://www.pa.msu.edu/alumni/bs/menubs.html (BS)
    http://www.pa.msu.edu/alumni/ba/menuba.html (BA)

Then one must ask, how many students are required to make an upper level course.

7. Feb 1, 2014 #6
    Awesome thank you!

Yes it looks like they do in fact publish all of the data, which includes physics course enrollments, jrs, srs, grad students enrolled, as well as number graduating that year.

Much obliged!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook