University of Rochester or Boston University (for physics undergrad)?

In summary, the individual is an international student who has been accepted to both Rochester and BU and is having trouble deciding which college to attend. They plan on pursuing a graduate degree in physics after completing their undergraduate studies. They are interested in the Geneva Physics Program at BU and the Kapitza Society at Rochester. Both colleges have offered similar financial aid. The individual is unsure which college will better prepare them for grad school and is seeking advice. The conversation also includes a discussion of the atmosphere, weather, and cultural opportunities at both colleges. The individual ultimately decides to attend Rochester without visiting either school in person.
TI-84
Hi,

I am an international student who has been admitted to Rochester and BU. I am having a difficult time deciding which college to attend. As an aspiring physicist, I plan on going to a graduate school for physics after completing undergrad.

I think the Geneva Physics Program (study abroad @ CERN) at BU is amazing, but I like the overall atmosphere at Rochester better as it seems to be more academic. Also, I am highly interested in the Kapitza Society at Rochester, where the professors teach graduate-level theoretical physics for a small group of undergrads.

Regarding tuition, I received a similar amount of aid from both so the cost doesn't matter. Also, being an international student, I have no idea where I will be happier - all I've heard from Reddit is that almost everyone prefers Boston over Rochester (city) and that the weather at Rochester is gloomy.

Which college do you think will better prepare me for grad school?

Any advice on Rochester or BU, whether that be about college in general or specifically about the physics department, would be very appreciated! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
I graduated from Rochester in Physics in the 1970's. I lived there into the 1980's and visit there from time to time. I was accepted Boston University for a summer course for two weeks. BU was inviting and receiving, and I cannot say enough about it pleasantly.

I always liked visiting and touring Boston. Nevertheless, My impression is that Rochester students in physics or optics were more academic. The Rochester weather is often gloomy, and snowier than Boston, but you get used to that quickly.

Rochester has a philharmonic, Eastman school of Music is top-notch, and many cultural opportunities. Rochester's planetarium (I know some physics graduate students at Rochester, did not even know they had one) is very good. Their Planetarium and Museum and science center are much better than many cities twice their size (such as St Louis).

Rochester University is a river campus about 2 miles from downtown. It resembles and is called a suburban campus. BU is an urban campus. Outside of the campus, most areas of Boston are safer than most areas of Rochester.

At Rochester, you can be a big fish in a small pond. Rochester has got the best physics department for at least 100 miles. (From East e.g. Cornell to West (Maybe Case Western) to South (Maybe Penn State or Carnegie Mellon). At BU you might be able to claim you are in the best physics department for 2 miles. You are always in the shadow of Harvard and MIT.

It is interesting that many student visitors to the University of Rochester from the Boston area (students who I invited there from graduate school, when I lived in Rochester), told me U of Rochester reminded them of a smaller MIT.

All told, I prefer U of R, but after writing this, I am not sure why. I think it is the campus, removed from the downtown area, (only 2 miles away), but sill a "suburban" campus, and some cultural diversions, but not so much as to be overwhelming.

Likes TI-84 and Greg Bernhardt
Greg Bernhardt said:
Congrats! Would you be able to visit either in person?
Sorry for the late reply - I just found out that replies have been posted!
Although I couldn't visit either schools in person, I decided to go to Rochester and I'm happy with my decision!
Thank you for your reply anyways :)

Likes Greg Bernhardt
mpresic3 said:
I graduated from Rochester in Physics in the 1970's. I lived there into the 1980's and visit there from time to time. I was accepted Boston University for a summer course for two weeks. BU was inviting and receiving, and I cannot say enough about it pleasantly.

I always liked visiting and touring Boston. Nevertheless, My impression is that Rochester students in physics or optics were more academic. The Rochester weather is often gloomy, and snowier than Boston, but you get used to that quickly.

Rochester has a philharmonic, Eastman school of Music is top-notch, and many cultural opportunities. Rochester's planetarium (I know some physics graduate students at Rochester, did not even know they had one) is very good. Their Planetarium and Museum and science center are much better than many cities twice their size (such as St Louis).

Rochester University is a river campus about 2 miles from downtown. It resembles and is called a suburban campus. BU is an urban campus. Outside of the campus, most areas of Boston are safer than most areas of Rochester.

At Rochester, you can be a big fish in a small pond. Rochester has got the best physics department for at least 100 miles. (From East e.g. Cornell to West (Maybe Case Western) to South (Maybe Penn State or Carnegie Mellon). At BU you might be able to claim you are in the best physics department for 2 miles. You are always in the shadow of Harvard and MIT.

It is interesting that many student visitors to the University of Rochester from the Boston area (students who I invited there from graduate school, when I lived in Rochester), told me U of Rochester reminded them of a smaller MIT.

All told, I prefer U of R, but after writing this, I am not sure why. I think it is the campus, removed from the downtown area, (only 2 miles away), but sill a "suburban" campus, and some cultural diversions, but not so much as to be overwhelming.
Thank you so much for sharing your detailed experience at the University of Rochester and Boston University! It is nice to know that my impression of both schools is similar to yours, who have actually been there. I have decided to go to Rochester, and I will definitely check out their planetarium. Thanks!

1. Which university has a better physics program?

Both the University of Rochester and Boston University have highly ranked physics programs. The University of Rochester is ranked #33 and Boston University is ranked #45 in the nation for undergraduate physics programs according to US News & World Report.

2. What research opportunities are available for physics undergraduates at these universities?

Both universities offer a wide range of research opportunities for physics undergraduates. At the University of Rochester, students can participate in research projects through the Department of Physics and Astronomy, as well as through the Center for Emerging and Innovative Sciences. Boston University also has a strong research program in physics, with opportunities available through the Department of Physics and the Center for Space Physics.

3. How are the class sizes and teaching styles different between the two universities?

The University of Rochester has a smaller student population and a lower student-to-faculty ratio compared to Boston University. This means that classes at the University of Rochester tend to be smaller and more intimate, allowing for more individualized attention from professors. Boston University, on the other hand, has a larger student population and a higher student-to-faculty ratio, which may result in larger class sizes and a more traditional lecture-style teaching approach.

4. What are the career prospects for physics graduates from these universities?

Both the University of Rochester and Boston University have strong reputations in the field of physics, and their graduates are highly sought after by employers. Graduates from these universities have gone on to pursue careers in a variety of fields, including research, academia, and industry.

5. How do the tuition and financial aid packages compare between the two universities?

The cost of attendance for both universities is similar, with the University of Rochester being slightly more expensive. However, both universities offer generous financial aid packages to their students, including scholarships, grants, and need-based aid. It is important to research and compare the financial aid options at each university to determine which one may be more affordable for you.