Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Montenbruck's Astro on the PC book

1. Jan 17, 2014 #1
    Has anyone used The Astronomy on the Personal Computer book by Montenbruck and Pfleger? It covers quite a lot of useful astronomical techniques, and provides the C++ code on a CD-ROM to compile and operate them. I haven't bought the book yet, but I have a borrowed copy. To compile code they suggest GNU C++, Visual C++, and, on the CD, a compiler they provide. They mention a Linux C++ compiler, but I use a PC.

It's been a long time since I used C++, but I do have it on my PC, as part of MinGW. Does anyone have experience compiling these programs to a executable form? I'm particularly interested in the FOTO program which produces, e.g., accurate positions of stars in a field of stars.

In the meantime, I'll go back to looking at a few of my old C++ books, and the MinGW compiler.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2014 #2
    Apparently, the book is not well known. For the curious I'm including the TOC as a jpg.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook