Montenbruck's Astro on the PC book

In summary, the Astronomy on the Personal Computer book by Montenbruck and Pfleger covers a variety of useful astronomical techniques and includes C++ code on a CD-ROM for compilation and operation. The suggested compilers are GNU C++, Visual C++, and a Linux C++ compiler provided on the CD. One person has experience compiling the programs using MinGW on a PC and is particularly interested in the FOTO program for accurate star positions. The book may not be well known but a table of contents is available for reference.
solarblast
Has anyone used The Astronomy on the Personal Computer book by Montenbruck and Pfleger? It covers quite a lot of useful astronomical techniques, and provides the C++ code on a CD-ROM to compile and operate them. I haven't bought the book yet, but I have a borrowed copy. To compile code they suggest GNU C++, Visual C++, and, on the CD, a compiler they provide. They mention a Linux C++ compiler, but I use a PC.

It's been a long time since I used C++, but I do have it on my PC, as part of MinGW. Does anyone have experience compiling these programs to a executable form? I'm particularly interested in the FOTO program which produces, e.g., accurate positions of stars in a field of stars.

In the meantime, I'll go back to looking at a few of my old C++ books, and the MinGW compiler.

Physics news on Phys.org
Apparently, the book is not well known. For the curious I'm including the TOC as a jpg.

Attachments

• tocA.jpg
    tocA.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 512
  • tocB.jpg
    tocB.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 495

1. What is the purpose of "Montenbruck's Astro on the PC" book?

"Montenbruck's Astro on the PC" is a comprehensive guidebook that teaches readers how to use the popular Astro software on their personal computer for astronomical calculations and simulations.

2. Who is the author of "Montenbruck's Astro on the PC" book?

The book is written by Dr. Thomas Montenbruck, a renowned astrophysicist and professor at the Technical University of Munich, Germany. He is also the creator of the Astro software.

3. Is the book suitable for beginners?

Yes, "Montenbruck's Astro on the PC" is designed for both beginners and advanced users. It starts with the basics of using the software and gradually progresses to more advanced topics.

4. What topics are covered in the book?

The book covers a wide range of topics, including celestial coordinate systems, astronomical timekeeping, solar system and stellar calculations, orbit determination, and celestial mechanics. It also includes detailed instructions on using the Astro software for these calculations.

5. Can I use "Montenbruck's Astro on the PC" for real-life applications?

Yes, the book and the Astro software can be used for real-life applications such as astronomical observations, satellite tracking, and space mission planning. It is a valuable resource for amateur and professional astronomers alike.