Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Moon-Earth distances and interactions

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    Hi,

I'm trying to calculate the distance between earth and moon and how the other planets and sun interfere in this system.

I would like to know how can I solve this. What equations should I use?

Will this also make me able to know how far the moon is "going away" from us?

Thank you

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2
    Probably not exactly what you're looking for, but this article explains briefly part of the reason why the moon is 'moving away' from us.

http://www.skyandtelescope.com/news/55066637.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  4. Aug 29, 2009 #3
    Hi again,

I think I know how these interactions happen. I really don't know where to start doing the calculations...

I'm ending my course in Physics, but it isn't pure physics since it has a minor in Computer Science, so I don't have many of the subjects that could be of help with this matter.

I have to do a computer program that simulates the orbits and as time passes by the moon "getting away"...

My problem for now is not the programming part, but the calculations I have to do and formulas I have to put there....

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook