More hockey questions putting the puck in a cooler before the game?

In summary, the game pucks at a hockey game are kept on ice in a cooler to prevent them from being too bouncy. This is because colder objects tend to be more rigid and brittle, making them less likely to bounce. This ensures consistency in the game for stick handling, shooting, and other puck-related activities.
ausername1
So I was just at a hockey game and noticed that the game pucks were being kept on ice in a cooler before they were to be used. When I asked about this I was told it was to keep the pucks from being more 'bouncy.' Why does this work? I would think that the colder they are, the bouncier they would be as they would have much less give to them- this isn't the best way of explaining what I think but I'm not sure how to word it... Could someone explain this to me?

Physics news on Phys.org
Colder objects tend to be more rigid and brittle. You can put a rubber ball in liquid nitrogen, and it will shatter if you take it out and throw it against the ground. When the rubber is at a higher temperature it has more "give", but it is also able to reform itself back to its original shape, exerting a force in the process that causes it to bounce well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having the pucks at a temperature similar to that they would experience when being played with brings a certain degree of consistancy to the game for stick handling, shooting and whatever else goes on with the puck and players passing it around and stopping it.

1. What is the purpose of putting the puck in a cooler before a game?

The main purpose of putting the puck in a cooler before a game is to maintain its temperature. When the puck is kept in a cooler, it remains cold and hard, which is crucial for optimal performance during a hockey game. Additionally, keeping the puck in a cooler can prevent it from becoming too warm and soft, which can affect its trajectory and make it more difficult to control.

2. How does temperature affect the performance of a hockey puck?

The temperature of a hockey puck can significantly impact its performance. When the puck is too warm, it becomes soft and bouncy, making it challenging to control and reducing its speed and accuracy. On the other hand, when the puck is too cold, it becomes hard and brittle, making it difficult to handle and increasing the risk of it breaking or shattering during gameplay.

3. Does putting the puck in a cooler affect its durability?

Yes, putting the puck in a cooler can help improve its durability. When the puck is kept in a cooler, it remains cold and solid, making it less prone to damage or breaking during gameplay. This is especially important for high-intensity games where the puck is often hit with great force, as a cold and hard puck can withstand impacts better than a warm and soft one.

4. How long should the puck be kept in the cooler before a game?

The amount of time the puck should be kept in the cooler before a game can vary depending on the ambient temperature and the desired temperature of the puck. In general, it is recommended to keep the puck in the cooler for at least 30 minutes before a game, but it is best to experiment and find the optimal time for your specific game conditions.

5. Are there any alternative methods for keeping the puck cool during a game?

Yes, there are several alternative methods for keeping the puck cool during a game. Some players and teams choose to keep the puck in a bucket of ice water, while others use a humidifier to keep the air temperature low and prevent the puck from warming up. However, using a cooler is often the most convenient and effective method for keeping the puck at the desired temperature.