Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

More hockey questions putting the puck in a cooler before the game?

1. Oct 20, 2012 #1
    So I was just at a hockey game and noticed that the game pucks were being kept on ice in a cooler before they were to be used. When I asked about this I was told it was to keep the pucks from being more 'bouncy.' Why does this work? I would think that the colder they are, the bouncier they would be as they would have much less give to them- this isn't the best way of explaining what I think but I'm not sure how to word it... Could someone explain this to me?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2012 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Colder objects tend to be more rigid and brittle. You can put a rubber ball in liquid nitrogen, and it will shatter if you take it out and throw it against the ground. When the rubber is at a higher temperature it has more "give", but it is also able to reform itself back to its original shape, exerting a force in the process that causes it to bounce well.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
  4. Oct 20, 2012 #3
    Having the pucks at a temperature similar to that they would experience when being played with brings a certain degree of consistancy to the game for stick handling, shooting and whatever else goes on with the puck and players passing it around and stopping it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook