More hockey questions putting the puck in a cooler before the game?

  • Thread starter Thread starter ausername1
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Cooler Game
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 3K views
ausername1
Messages
6
Reaction score
0
So I was just at a hockey game and noticed that the game pucks were being kept on ice in a cooler before they were to be used. When I asked about this I was told it was to keep the pucks from being more 'bouncy.' Why does this work? I would think that the colder they are, the bouncier they would be as they would have much less give to them- this isn't the best way of explaining what I think but I'm not sure how to word it... Could someone explain this to me?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Colder objects tend to be more rigid and brittle. You can put a rubber ball in liquid nitrogen, and it will shatter if you take it out and throw it against the ground. When the rubber is at a higher temperature it has more "give", but it is also able to reform itself back to its original shape, exerting a force in the process that causes it to bounce well.

 
Last edited by a moderator:
Having the pucks at a temperature similar to that they would experience when being played with brings a certain degree of consistency to the game for stick handling, shooting and whatever else goes on with the puck and players passing it around and stopping it.