Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Hockey Slap Shot ExperimentHelp?

1. Apr 2, 2013 #1
    Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum and not extremely versed in physics, so to speak. So, I figured this would be a good place to turn for help.

I'm trying to come up with a simple way to replicate the force of a slap shot for proof of concept of a hockey pad I'm working on, initially I assumed I could just drop a bowling ball (or something sufficiently heavy) from a specific height and call it a day, but I am having some trouble figuring out the fine details.

The information I have now is that the slap shot I am attempting to replicate is:
    • Velocity: 90 mph or 40 m/s
    • Puck Density: 165g
    • Force Being Replicated: 6600 N

I'm not sure how much more information is necessary, as I stated earlier I am not the best with physics and such, hence my post.

Essentially, I need to find a way to prove that my design is sufficiently resistant to high impact (more precisely, a professional slap shot) without taking my clients out to an ice rink and having a professional hockey player take shots at me.

Thanks in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 2, 2013 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you want a method of testing a hocky pad then it would be best to use a projectile that is physically very similar to a hockey puck. The effect of a projectile will sometimes depend upon Kinetic Energy and sometimes on Momentum. Both are 'to do with' mass and motion but you could draw some flawed conclusions if you were to use something with a very different mass.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook