More than one equation for a given Trig Graph?

• MHB
  • Thread starter m3dicat3d
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Graph Trig
In summary, the conversation discussed the concept of determining whether a given graph represents a sine or cosine function in order to find its equation. It was mentioned that evaluating where the graph intersects the y-axis is the easiest approach. However, it was also noted that through the use of the addition of angles identity, the same graph can have multiple equations representing it, as shown by the example of a sine and cosine function with a phase shift of pi/2. The conversation also touched upon the relationship between sine and cosine functions, and how they are complementary or out of phase by pi/2 radians. The participants of the conversation were also praised for seeking a deeper understanding of the math rather than just memorizing formulas.
m3dicat3d
Hi all.. another Trig question here...

Let's say I'm given a graph of a sinusoidal function and asked to find its equation, but I'm not told whether this is a sine or cosine function and I'm left to determine that myself.

I understand that evaluating where the graph intersects the y-axis is the straight-forward, easiest approach. For instance, take this graph where the y interval is .5 and the x interval is pi/2

View attachment 654

I can say that it's a sine graph easily by sight, but also b/c it intersects the y-axis at y=0. And given the phase shift and no vertical shift, the equation is f(x) = sin [(2/3)x].

BUT, couldn't this also be f(x) = cos [{(2/3)x} - (pi/2)] since sin(x) and cos(x) are separated only by a phase shift of pi/2?

This is meant for my own edification and not to make this kind of exercise more confusing than be. I'm simply interseted if this is in fact mathematically accurate that you could have more than one equation (a sine or a cosine "version") for a given sinusoidal curve.

My calculator returns coincidental curves when I graph both the sine and cosine "versions" of this given graph, but I know my calculator isn't really a mathematician either haha, so I thought I'd ask some real mathematicians instead :)

Thanks

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 76
Mathematics news on Phys.org
Note that by the addition of angles identity, that
$$ \cos(2x/3- \pi/2)= \cos(2x/3) \cos( \pi/2)+ \sin(2x/3) \sin( \pi/2)
= \cos(2x/3) \cdot 0+ \sin(2x/3) \cdot 1= \sin(2x/3).$$
So yes, you can definitely have more than one representation of the same graph, as you have seen on your calculator.

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Excellent answer, and as I am still reviewing my Trig, I hadn't even considered the identity perspective of it... I can't stress enough how much having that perspective helps me even more with this...

Again, Thank you... man this place rocks! (Yes) :D

As sine and cosine are complementary or co-functions, this just means they are out of phase by $\displaystyle \frac{\pi}{2}$ radians, or 90°.

You may have noticed that a sine curve, if moved 1/4 period to the left, becomes a cosine curve, or conversely, a cosine curve moved 1/4 period to the right becomes a sine curve.

You are doing well to see this, it shows you are trying to understand it on a deeper level rather than just plugging into formulas. Both the sine function and the cosine function, and linear combinations of the two (with equal amplitudes) are called sinusoidal functions.

Thanks MarkFL, I appreciate the encouraging words. I'm studying for my State certification exam to teach HS math here in TX, and I tutor HS students in the meantime. I'm no math genius by far, so when I ask some of my questions I sometimes feel they might be dumb (which no one here has made me feel like I'm glad to say). I'm trying to see those "nuances" in the math in case they might help my students, and again, I appreciate your words, and the full out decency of the community here. It's a great place to learn :)

m3dicat3d said:
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!

Excellent answer, and as I am still reviewing my Trig, I hadn't even considered the identity perspective of it... I can't stress enough how much having that perspective helps me even more with this...

Again, Thank you... man this place rocks! (Yes) :D

You're quite welcome! Glad to be of help.

Related to More than one equation for a given Trig Graph?

1. What is the purpose of having more than one equation for a given Trig Graph?

Having multiple equations for a given Trig Graph allows for a more detailed and accurate representation of the graph. Different equations may highlight different aspects of the graph, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the function.

2. How do I know which equation to use for a specific Trig Graph?

The equation used for a specific Trig Graph depends on the characteristics of the graph, such as the amplitude, period, and phase shift. It is important to understand these characteristics and how they relate to the different trigonometric functions in order to determine the appropriate equation.

3. Can different equations result in the same Trig Graph?

Yes, different equations can result in the same Trig Graph. This is because there are many ways to express a single trigonometric function, and each equation may have different constants or coefficients that can result in the same graph.

4. Are there any rules or guidelines for writing multiple equations for a given Trig Graph?

Yes, there are some general rules and guidelines for writing multiple equations for a given Trig Graph. These include understanding the characteristics of the graph, using the correct trigonometric function for the desired graph, and properly manipulating the equation to achieve the desired result.

5. How can I check if my equations are accurate for a given Trig Graph?

One way to check if your equations are accurate for a given Trig Graph is to use a graphing calculator or software. This will allow you to visually compare your equations to the actual graph and make any necessary adjustments. Additionally, you can also use algebraic methods to verify that the equations produce the same results for specific values of the independent variable.