Most challenging problem from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem in Herstein's Topics in Algebra book that generated a lot of mail. The proof, contributed by Derek Holt, shows that in a ring where x3=x for every x in R, R is a commutative ring. The proof includes six steps, with step 4 stating that if x is central and n is an integer, then nx is also central. This step is considered well-known by the author of the proof and is not explicitly stated.
karthikvs88
Let R be a ring in which x3=x for every x in R. Prove that R is a commutative ring.

This is (word-for-word) in Herstein, Topics in Algebra, Ch. 3 sec. 4, problem 19. Apparently, Herstein commented that this one problem generated more mail than the entire remainder of the book.

The proof (due to Derek Holt) I found is as follows:

An element x is called central if xy=yx for all y in R.
Note that the central elements form a subring of R.

1. xy = 0 => yx = 0.
(Proof: yx = (yx)^3 = y (xy)^2 x = 0.)

2. x^2 = x => x central.
(Proof: x(y - xy) = xy - x^2y = xy-xy=0, so (by 1) (y - xy)x = 0,
and yx = xyx.
Similarly, (y - yx)x = 0 => x(y - yx) = 0 => xy = xyx.)

3. x^2 is central for all x in R. (by 2, because (x^2)^2 = x^4 = x^2).

4. If x^2 = nx for an integer n, then x is central.
(Proof: x = x^3 = qx^2, which is central by 3.)

5. x + x^2 is central for all x in R.
(Proof: By 4, because (x + x^2)^2 = 2(x + x^2).)

6. By 3 and 5, x = (x + x^2) - x^2 is central, completing the proof.

This proof can the found by scrolling to the very end of this page:
http://www.math.niu.edu/~rusin/known-math/99/commut_ring

I understand all the steps except for 4. How did he conclude that x is central in step 4?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Suppose x is central and n is a positive integer. Then for any other element y we have xy=yx and therefore:
[tex]\begin{align*}
(nx)y&=(x+x+\cdots+x)y \\
&= xy+xy+\cdots+xy \\
&= yx + yx +\cdots + yx \\
&= y(x+x+\cdots+x) \\
&= y(nx)\end{align*}[/tex]
which shows that nx is also central. The same can be shown to hold if n is negative or 0. Thus if x is central, then so is nx. This may be considered well-known by the author of the proof which is probably why he left it out.

In 4 you know that x^2 is central, and therefore qx^2=x is also central (q=n is an integer).

1. What makes I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book considered to have challenging problems?

The problems in I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book are considered challenging because they require a deep understanding of algebraic concepts and the ability to think critically and creatively in order to solve them. They often involve complex equations, abstract reasoning, and multiple steps to arrive at a solution.

2. How can I prepare for solving problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book?

To prepare for solving problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book, it is important to have a strong foundation in algebraic concepts and techniques. This can be achieved through regular practice and review of basic algebraic principles, as well as studying theorems and proofs from the textbook.

3. Are there any tips for approaching problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book?

One helpful tip for approaching problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book is to break them down into smaller, more manageable parts. This can help to identify the key concepts and techniques needed to solve the problem. It is also important to read the problem carefully and make sure you understand what is being asked before attempting to solve it.

4. How can I check my answers for problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book?

One way to check your answers for problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book is to use the solutions manual that accompanies the textbook. However, it is important to first attempt to solve the problem on your own before consulting the solutions, as this will help to strengthen your understanding of the material.

5. Are there any helpful resources for tackling problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book?

There are various online resources and study guides available for tackling problems from I. N. Herstein's Algebra Book. These can provide additional practice problems, step-by-step solutions, and helpful tips and strategies for approaching challenging problems. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or joining a study group can also be beneficial.